• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Valet Launching Service

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Considering it for this year. I only live 1 mile from the launch ramp, but parking the 24ft boat in the driveway can be a PITA. Has anyone used valet service? Anything to consider that you might not normally think of when making the decision? I had a friend whose trailer was damaged, they power loaded a 30ft cabin cruiser and mangled the post in the front. Just wondering are tips expected? How much? Etc. Just thinking about it at this point. Thanks in advance.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Consider that they have to be experts on EVERY boat they store. And the truth, they are not. They will be short with you, and rush, DON'T LET THEM! It is your boat, and your responsibility. They will have issues with you pulling the transom plug, installing the transom plug, charging batteries, doing normal stuff. If your in valet, it is and in and out service. They don't want you in the yard even if the tell you that you can be. You may find that it is different and I hope you do! But of the stories I read and the guys I know using it, your paying for a premium service...so demand premium service! They better not be dropping the ball if your paying to make sure they don't! Just my thought on it. A side note, as a lucky guy...I had a barn garage right at the house. I lived 10 minutes from the ramp. I could prep and launch my boat in 15 minutes from opening the barn to launch...if I had all the food and beer ready. But it isn't a race. It is a methodical process to make sure it is done to MY satisfaction. And in Valet service, they are rushing. How can you ever be satisfied if you walk up, get in, and go. I need to be able to sleep at night. All of this is intended to help you sleep better too.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure if this is exactly the kind of service you are thinking about, but I keep my boat at an indoor storage facility and, so far at least, I haven't had a problem. Where I keep it I only need to call one hour before and they will lift if off the rack and set it in the water. There is no limit as to how many times I can do this--everyday if I want. When I bring my boat back they wash it down, on the outside, and flush the engines--that is my biggest concern that it is done properly but the people I have talked to claim they know what they are doing with jet boats. If I call them two hours ahead they will lower the boat and clean out the inside for free. In addition they have work racks that I can use for free and they have free ice--very important :). I think it is a bargain--$200 a month; in fact, I pay $40 a month at another facility just to store my trailer with no services.

So far, there haven't been any problems and the convenience of being only 15 minutes away and not having to tow the boat, launch it, recover it, and tow it back, made it an easy decision for me. (The picture in the bottom right of my signature is where the boat is sitting ready to go after they have set it in the water--all I have to do is climb on board).

boats on rack.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Steined, I'm not sure what is included in the service you mentioned either but if parking a boat in a driveway means putting it in a ramp I think a few minutes of practice at a local parking lot will probably help a lot. However, there are other benefits of on water storage that can't be denied.

One of my good friends had the same "dry rack" storage as Xoomer for his Rinker Cruiser. It was a lot more limited in that all they would do is take it down and remove the cover when he called in and they would recover it and restore it when we got back. He paid closer to $300 a month for this as I recall, this included outdoor storage for the trailer. For him it was worth it because he didn't want to buy a new vehicle to haul his boat around, didn't have a great place to store it at home and generally didn't like towing his boat around. It wouldn't work for me because I like to be near my boat incase I want to work on it. Also, I don't want to be stuck boating at one place. It always seems that I'm rusty at trailering, launching and recovering the boat when the season starts, if I put my boat in dry storage I would be forever rusty possibly to the point I would rarely if ever boat anywhere else. I also don't want to depend on someone else to do those things, with my luck as soon as I'm "hooked" the price would go up.

If you do go with a valet / dry rack service three things to consider based on my friends experience are:
1. Ask for a top rack if possible, anything else is subject to being hit by fluid leaks from the boats above it (sometime he boats on top get hit by bird shit, it depends on the facility chosen).
2. If you get back to the dock late what happens to your boat? In my friends situation the facility just had him leave it outside on the dock, unattended, until the next morning. My friend could live with that, I couldn't.
3. Find out if the service provider offer maintenance discounts or premiums for basic services like oil changes, tune up, winterization, etc. you should always be able to do it yourself but it is nice when you don't have to in that the boat is already at a "shop" but sometimes it's at a cost premium not a discount.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is a concern that something may leak from the boat above you--I asked about that and was told that it had happened only once or twice--what else could they say? I'm not sure if I can ask for an upper rack but I probably should. From what I understand they normally place the smaller boats up high and the larger ones on the bottom.

My service will load and unload the boat to my trailer "occasionally" for free. I was told it isn't a normal service and if someone did it more than occasionally they would be charged about $100 for each load or unload. For me it's not a problem since there isn't anywhere I want to trailer my boat--except when I go to Bimini in June.

I can have my boat put on a work rack and can work on it myself as often as I like, but I can't bring over a mechanic to do any work. They do have Yamaha certified mechanics on-site but I don't know if I get any special deals--need to ask.

If I come in after 4:00PM the boat will stay in the water overnight. They have a system where I can put a colored clothespin on my docking line to let them know if they should leave it in the water the next day (blue) or put it on the rack the next day (red). I don't come in that late so it isn't an issue for me but I'm told there has never been a problem leaving a boat overnight in the water--who knows? They do have a webcam to watch what is going on at the dock that gives me some sense of security but it is more of a thing of interest than a security measure: Webcam

(The left side of the canal is where my boat is stored if looking at the webcam--the boats on land are on the work racks. Across the canal is another indoor storage facility.)

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Considering it for this year. I only live 1 mile from the launch ramp, but parking the 24ft boat in the driveway can be a PITA. Has anyone used valet service? Anything to consider that you might not normally think of when making the decision? I had a friend whose trailer was damaged, they power loaded a 30ft cabin cruiser and mangled the post in the front. Just wondering are tips expected? How much? Etc. Just thinking about it at this point. Thanks in advance.
The only two things I absolutely wouldn't allow anybody to do is load or off load my boat from the trailer or flushing my engines. Those two issues are fodder for damage. In @xoomer case where they sling load and retrieve, I'd have no issues with that.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
At my friend's location they used large fork lifts to place and remove boats in the dry racks and onto temporary trailers. The trailer would then be towed up to the ramp with a tractor and lowered into the water on a large elevator. The staff had no problems with you watching them or even going into the dry stack warehouse where your boat is stored. I would not recommend it if you can't stand the sight of your "baby" suspended up to 30' high and shaking as the forklift does it's thing.

On one occasion he had them change the oil. They didn't tighten down the filter so before we got out of the no wake zone the low oil alarm came on. We opened the engine hatch only to find most of the oil in the bottom of the compartment. We got back to the ramp, told the staff about the issue then left for the day. I wanted to stay out but my friend wasn't having it, as he put it, "I [he] just paid for a problem."

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The only two things I absolutely wouldn't allow anybody to do is load or off load my boat from the trailer or flushing my engines. Those two issues are fodder for damage. In @xoomer case where they sling load and retrieve, I'd have no issues with that.
@Gym I'm concerned about them flushing the engines and have purchased the tow valves that I plan on installing when I have a chance so I can do the flushing myself. I probably will load the boat myself when I take it out of the water since there is a ramp only a few minutes away from the storage facility.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At my friend's location they used large fork lifts to place and remove boats in the dry racks and onto temporary trailers. The trailer would then be towed up to the ramp with a tractor and lowered into the water on a large elevator. The staff had no problems with you watching them or even going into the dry stack warehouse where your boat is stored. I would not recommend it if you can't stand the sight of your "baby" suspended up to 30' high and shaking as the forklift does it's thing."
My service goes directly from the rack to the water on the same gigantic forklift--pretty scary to see them do this. They don't even have a ramp.

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm at a relatively small marina (no racks, fancy storage facilities, etc.). I used the valet service last year. My boat was stored in their indoor storage shed (metal "Morton" building, no power, gravel floor). When I wanted to be launched, I simply called the valet service mobile phone (the tractor operator for that shift carried the phone.) They would come hook up to my trailer and launch me at the ramp. When I was ready for retrieval, they would go grab my trailer and pick me up at the ramp.

For the most part, I did get my money's worth, the service was friendly, prompt, and they took great care handling my boat. I did tip ($10 per haul out/retrieval). My only issue: the service hours. They closed at 5pm on weeknights, which was very inconvenient. I'm fully capable of hauling in/out myself, however it's a pain in the butt on weeknights to coordinate all of that, back it in to an awkward angled spot in an unlit building, etc. I felt like I didn't get as much usage out of my boat as I'd like because I simply didn't want to deal with retrievals on my own during the weeknights.

This year I opted for my own 24x10 slip (shore power + water) with hydrohoist lift system. No more worrying about retrievals/launches! Can't wait to use it.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lots of good questions I need to ask I wouldn't have known to ask. Thanks everyone!

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Steined, I'm not sure what is included in the service you mentioned either but if parking a boat in a driveway means putting it in a ramp I think a few minutes of practice at a local parking lot will probably help a lot. However, there are other benefits of on water storage that can't be denied.
To be clear, the pain in the ass isn't the act of parking, it's having a 24ft boat in the driveway :)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
To be clear, the pain in the ass isn't the act of parking, it's having a 24ft boat in the driveway :)
But if you have it in the driveway, you can pamper it, spend money on her, bath her, admire her, listen to her music while having a beverage when aboard her, and most of all, make those really cool vroom vroom, sounds!:singing:

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
But if you have it in the driveway, you can pamper it, spend money on her, bath her, admire her, listen to her music while having a beverage when aboard her, and most of all, make those really cool vroom vroom, sounds!:singing:
True! True! I just need to have my driveway pad enlarged and I suppose most of my complaints will go away! Unfortunately retaining walls and concrete are not part of my DIY repertoire.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hear you Steined, I tried to put my boat in my driveway to avoid getting a ticket for parking it in the street in front of my house. Lengthwise it would have fit, barely with the tongue folded but the trailer jack was to tall for me to deploy it because the trailer tongue is very low (where the sidewalk meets the street) when the trailer is in the driveway. Even if I got it I the driveway it looks odd/big/inappropriate there.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Indeed a bummer...

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hear you Steined, I tried to put my boat in my driveway to avoid getting a ticket for parking it in the street in front of my house. Lengthwise it would have fit, barely with the tongue folded but the trailer jack was to tall for me to deploy it because the trailer tongue is very low (where the sidewalk meets the street) when the trailer is in the driveway. Even if I got it I the driveway it looks odd/big/inappropriate there.
I followed your driveway saga, and I have to say, you handled it much better than I would have. I'm hoping not to have the same issues and may even ask for permission to modify my own land that I own and pay taxes on BEFORE I modify it! Crock of s#!t I know! But I'm afraid of what would happen if what happened to you happened to me!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got a guy.....

Steve, nicest redneck sumbitch you'll ever meet. He runs Rivertoys in Needles. I can't say enough good things about him. Anything, anything at all that you need, he can and will do it.
He'll take your boat out of storage, launch it, bring your trailer back to his shop for any repair you need...tires, bearings, new bunks, re-carpet the bunks - you name it. Since I always pull my battery from the boat I have once or twice showed up only to find I forgot to bring it with me. No problem, "here you go - keep it, no charge". One time I was working on a part I had made for the boat and I accidently broke a small weld....he shows up at my hotel with repair parts that he had to drive 2 hours to get...and I never asked him to do that!!

And knowledge? Hoo boy, he knows boats. His inventory includes some real beauties. Many 6 and 7 figure toys - it's fun to take the guided tour.

So, there are a few people I'd trust my boat with under any circumstances. Steve is one.

If you don't have one, go get yourself a Steve...if you can find one. :cool:

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Damn Mel!!!....Now I feel the need to grab a beer go out to the garage and listen to some music in the boat....lol

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I followed your driveway saga, and I have to say, you handled it much better than I would have. I'm hoping not to have the same issues and may even ask for permission to modify my own land that I own and pay taxes on BEFORE I modify it! Crock of s#!t I know! But I'm afraid of what would happen if what happened to you happened to me!
Considering all the $hit that comes with them, we must love our boats. This string has got me rethinking my situation. I have to make this easier if I'm going to keep doing it. Split and targeted storage maybe the key: 1. In season, store the boat under a car port at the closest marina with direct access to the Sacramento Delta. I don't mind launching and recovering myself but would pay a reasonable fee for the service as well. I called them a few months ago and the off season price for storage only was $30 per month. 2. Off season, store the boat on the side of my house. This way I avoid storage costs entirely. I like the idea of not having to tow it (or at least less distance) in season and having the ability to easily work on and / or see it "driveway boating" off season.

Have you thought about getting the valet service only for the months you need it / can use it and purchasing only storage in the off season?