• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

WANTED - Perfect Pass for 2009 Yamaha 212x

parkerdowney

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I have been desperately trying to find a Perfect Pass System for my 2009 Yamaha 212x.

They used to build a system that used servo motors to actuate the throttle cables (2008-2010 models of the 212x, and many other older yamaha jet boats; essentially any of the boats that don't have APS), but now only support newer boats with APS.

I called PP and they said that the owner might consider making some more runs of this older style system if there was enough people interested in purchasing it.

Is anyone else here in the same boat?

I would also be happy to purchase a used or uninstalled system from anybody that has one. Name your price!

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are several conversations over the past year or two from people who would likely jump on board. Search back for those conversations, and see if people will jump in with you. I got mine just before they quit selling them. I heard they planned to discontinue them, and jumped real quick.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many is "enough people" ??

parkerdowney

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
It is unclear what is "enough", but if we get together multiple people all asking for the same system, I think it would be likely that they would help us out. The gentleman I spoke with on the phone confirmed that they still have the parts and tooling to produce this system, but the owner is not keen on still producing the system because of the low demand. I would imagine if we had 10 or more, he would strongly consider making a run of them for us; which is what the gentleman on the phone told me.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@parkerdowney, were you speaking with Gary Allen?

I arranged some PP group buys through him years ago. Still have contact info if that would be helpful.

If that does not work out with PP perhaps we should develop our own system. Not incredibly complex.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I intended to make the cable system and pair it with Ridesteady which seems better and certainly looks better than Perfect Pass in my opinion last spring but then we found our forever home and moved so that had me tied up. It's still something I'd like to tackle and offer but not sure if it will happen with home renovations starting soon. That's why if Perfect Pass was to offer this I'd probably go for it.

parkerdowney

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
@parkerdowney, were you speaking with Gary Allen?

I arranged some PP group buys through him years ago. Still have contact info if that would be helpful.

If that does not work out with PP perhaps we should develop our own system. Not incredibly complex.
I was actually speaking with a guy named Mark, but another contact cant hurt. I would also been to developing our own system if they decide not to support this effort for us at PP!

parkerdowney

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I intended to make the cable system and pair it with Ridesteady which seems better and certainly looks better than Perfect Pass in my opinion last spring but then we found our forever home and moved so that had me tied up. It's still something I'd like to tackle and offer but not sure if it will happen with home renovations starting soon. That's why if Perfect Pass was to offer this I'd probably go for it.
If you did develop this system paired with ride steady I would be the first one to offer assistance and pick one up for my boat. I am sure tons of people on this forum would be appreciative. The more I look into this, the more people I find searching for a speed control system on the MR1 HO boats.. its crazy to me that PP stopped supporting these boats after having a solution that worked so well for so many years!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure that it would be worthwhile to buy anyone controller if you built your own servo control system.

An Arduino or ESP32 with a GPS receiver and possibly a gyroscope should be able to provide the control. An app for a phone might be the best display solution. The ESP32’s built in Bluetooth would make it easy to control and update from a phone.

Really simply I am thinking increase throttle until desired speed is reached using a preset value to determine how aggressively to accelerate then vary throttle to hold speed. A gyroscope with an accelerometer could be used to place a limit on
G forces during speed changes.

You might want to be able to program more complex acceleration curves but I think that simple parameters for acceleration rate and speed would be a good start.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I installed this system on my boat in 2013. It has worked great for many years. Over the last two years the contrast between the background of the gauge and the numbers for the speed has diminshed. I don't think this is an adjustable setting and not sure why it has gotten hard to see, but I would be interested in a new gauge.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I reached out to Gary Allen, the President of PP to ask how many orders would be needed to restart production.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unfortunately it looks like PP will not be making any more.

2C5E97B9-7340-46E6-8185-949AD336DEA6.jpeg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length