• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Y.E.S. Or no? (Extended warranty)

ShireRider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Picking up my boat next Saturday after nearly 9 months of waiting for her.

I’m thinking of going with the YES warranty because it being a post Covid boat, I’m not 100% comfortable that I won’t have hiccups. What is your experience with the warranty? Is it worth it? I plan on doing my own maintenance, not sure if that changes anything?
Thank you,
Mark

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I read on here in the past that if you decline the warranty that about 2 months before the factory warranty expires they will start sending you discounted offers on the YES warranty... I just picked up my boat last month and declined the warranty, I did verify with the dealer you can add it any time before the factory warranty is up. So that is my plan

ShireRider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I read on here in the past that if you decline the warranty that about 2 months before the factory warranty expires they will start sending you discounted offers on the YES warranty... I just picked up my boat last month and declined the warranty, I did verify with the dealer you can add it any time before the factory warranty is up. So that is my plan

“We have been trying to reach you about your boats extended warranty”.
Lol. Oh no!!
Good call, I had not heard this.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did in fact get a discount offer on the warranty when I purchased it right before the year was up. This was March/April of 2021. They took it in 4 equal payments on my credit card. At least this is what occured last year with the discount.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I have about 30 days for my 1 year to expire. While still debating, leaning against it currently.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hate paying for warranties, they have saved my ass on multiple occasions though. My other thought when I bought it is if I sell in the first 2-3 years, the Warranty helps in selling. But of course I didn't realize there was going to be such a high demand for boats.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Extended warranties are just insurance policies to gouge consumers. Most extended warranties don't cover half the potential issues either, so it's a huge profit for the companies pushing them because they know statistically you will never reap any benefit for the cash outlay. For that reason I've never taken an extended warranty and the couple of times I've needed to do something that would have been covered cost less than the warranty - so I've saved thousands of dollars over the years which I can bank for any future issues.

Besides, these boats are pretty reliable. The engines are manufactured in Japan by Yamaha and shipped as a complete unit to be dropped into our boats. That's why these boats have such long lasting engines. Aside from some electronics, the rest of the boat is pretty simple like any other boat and for the most part have remained unchanged for many years.

Save yourself more money by doing your own oil changes - it's just as easy as a car with a spin on filter, and overpriced Yamalube is just regular conventional oil (nothing special about it) so you can use any decent 10w40 oil and 3614 sized filter.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe that stopped doing the discount since the demand for boats increased and also since there were a QC issues.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Maybe that stopped doing the discount since the demand for boats increased and also since there were a QC issues.
Yeah that’s what I assumed as well. They kept sending me stuff but no discount.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would have to find it, but i believe mine was $400 circa off.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 1 year is up in July, haven't noticed a discounted price yet.

View attachment 178640
We're still waiting on ours to arrive so my wife hasn't had a change to go toe to toe with their F&I department in an attempt to secure the best deal possible. At this stage they're listing a 4-year on our sales ticket at $2,000.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I took mine back in 2017 because they were offering it or $500.00 off the price. How could you not take it. Truth be told only used it once...dang O2 Sensor.

Tis' a small price to pay the first time something wayward causes you to lose a weekend or put the boat up for weeks/months trying to get a problem figured out on your own.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I took mine back in 2017 because they were offering it or $500.00 off the price. How could you not take it. Truth be told only used it once...dang O2 Sensor.

Tis' a small price to pay the first time something wayward causes you to lose a weekend or put the boat up for weeks/months trying to get a problem figured out on your own.
Agreed, however times have changed as dealers can’t order parts and get them right away. I’ve heard people buying parts by them selves and not using the warranty as they would be out of commission too long.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
We're still waiting on ours to arrive so my wife hasn't had a change to go toe to toe with their F&I department in an attempt to secure the best deal possible. At this stage they're listing a 4-year on our sales ticket at $2,000.
Yeah, all I can tell you is I purchased last March and they kept sending me stuff but the price never came down.

ShireRider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Agreed, however times have changed as dealers can’t order parts and get them right away. I’ve heard people buying parts by them selves and not using the warranty as they would be out of commission too long.
I wonder if that would leave them with a leg to stand on in getting reimbursed for the YES warranty.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
We purchased the 5 year (4 + 1) Y.E.S warranty on our 2020 212s for the peace of mind. We have yet to use it. I've purchased warranties for almost every vehicle I own, and they have all paid for repairs for issues that cost way more than the warranty did.
I figure when your spending 60k on a boat, the $1500 is worth it alone for the piece of mind.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I couldn’t even get my dealer to complete all my warranty issues from delivery, to be honest I have no intentions of going back. I was skeptical of the dealer to begin with and unfortunately they met my expectations. Which is sad because they are a big dealer in the area.

rms59

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
195 Open G
Boat Length
In another week I pick up my new AR250 which comes with a one year YES warranty as part of the deal. Not sure if thats the manufacturer warranty or this YES is after that. He also wants to sell me a 5 year YES warranty for $2500. So, is that worth it? The boat will never see salt water.