• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

‘18 / ‘19 Connext Navigation

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Dave berry recently posted that he is unsatisfied with the new gps capabilities.

Do others share that sentiment? What functions are missing?

I usually boat on familiar lakes, but love the idea of exploring new lakes and one day taking the boat to the Florida Gulf and/or participate in a Bimini trip.

Just trying to determine whether the new module is likely to suit my needs, which in the short term are quite basic.

Tks

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not sure what all the optional navigation gives you other than a graphical map layout and waypoint/breadcrumb charting capabilities. Does it also give you channel marker info, topographical depth, marinas, fuel, etc like other standalone chart plotters can give you? That would be my deciding factor. If the Yamaha navigation is just a breadcrumb plotter I'd probably skip that option and get a standalone chart plotter/fish finder that uses Navionics or similar. I don't use GPS enough to have an extra display so for those times I just have my phone up and running free Skipper app.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Same here. For now, breadcrumbs and simple channels are about all I need. For serious trips and plotting, it would make sense to get a dedicated unit, I would think.

I’ve got Navionics on my phone and mini-iPad (and suction cup ran mount) For now, I’m sure the three will be more than enough for my needs. I’m a long way off from needing anything more sophisticated I think.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Has anyone with a newer boat been able to figure out how to save your breadcrumb trail? Last season we would cruise for dinner and be returning in the dark. Every time, I would enable the breadcrumbs. But, turning they key off would wipe it. What’s the point in using it in the first place? I haven’t been able to find much info on using the navigation. My manual seems to skip over anything advanced. (If I remember right.... it’s been several months since I looked). And, last time I asked my dealer, they didn’t know yet. I may ask again, this year if nobody here knows.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Brotherman. Manual doesn't have info on advanced stuff because that thing has no advanced functions! Keep using that navionics app or get a chart plotter.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Brotherman. Manual doesn't have info on advanced stuff because that thing has no advanced functions! Keep using that navionics app or get a chart plotter.
Lol

Next thing is a I got a new (larger) phone (iPhone 11 max) this winter. So, I know full well that the fancy phone holder in my new boat is going to be too small now. When I get it out of storage, I’m going to see about removing it and mounting a ball ram mount in its place so I can attach anything there. (Phone or iPad mini )

Another thing I noticed last year, is that the USB port must be super low voltage. It didn’t have enough juice last year to charge my phone if I was using any active gps apps. If I was just playing music it would charge super slowly (iPhone 7). @jacoviii or @CDENsomnia have you guys noticed that? I think I may have to wire in my own usb charger. Kind of wondering if that port isn’t more for playing media than charging??

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Another thing I noticed last year, is that the USB port must be super low voltage... Kind of wondering if that port isn’t more for playing media than charging??
I believe it's marked AUX which means it's intended for input. Do you have a 12v socket on the dash? You can buy a high current USB socket plug that will charge your phone quickly. I use one in my vehicle as the USB is also low current and intended for input rather than charging. Mine is a dual USB plug so both mine and the wife's phones can be quick charged at the same time. Just make sure it's made for quick charging or it'll just put out the regular rate.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Has anyone with a newer boat been able to figure out how to save your breadcrumb trail? Last season we would cruise for dinner and be returning in the dark. Every time, I would enable the breadcrumbs. But, turning they key off would wipe it. What’s the point in using it in the first place? I haven’t been able to find much info on using the navigation. My manual seems to skip over anything advanced. (If I remember right.... it’s been several months since I looked). And, last time I asked my dealer, they didn’t know yet. I may ask again, this year if nobody here knows.
We hope to pick up our new boat in the next couple of months - not sure when now due to this hysterical COVID crap. Once we get it, I'll be doing an update on the GPS MicroSD card through the Navionics website which will give more detailed mapping info. As for advanced features, I think the others are right - it's a basic mapping feature to help guide you safely rather than routing and such. Once updated it should show all the basic charting needs such as buoys, markers, etc. That's all I need to navigate safely into shallower waters. Might get the yearly subscription too, depends on my needs I suppose. I'll update once I have this done.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I believe it's marked AUX which means it's intended for input. Do you have a 12v socket on the dash? You can buy a high current USB socket plug that will charge your phone quickly. I use one in my vehicle as the USB is also low current and intended for input rather than charging. Mine is a dual USB plug so both mine and the wife's phones can be quick charged at the same time. Just make sure it's made for quick charging or it'll just put out the regular rate.
I think you’re right on that. It is marked aux. I’ll go ahead and get another charger port ordered. Not a big deal, I installed one on my last boat as well. Thanks!