• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

‘22 Yamaha 195S winterizing

Shatty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
For the winter… do I have to shrink wrap if I have the OEM mooring cover? It’s the one that costs 900 with the ratchets. I know I would have to use the included poles thay keep it from accumulating snow or water. I’m in NY so we have cold winters. Does the boat come with antifreeze or another type of coolant? I heard I have to drain the coolant and use antifreeze and if it sits for a while I need fuel conditioner. Can I run it with antifreeze if it happens to be a nice day and I wanna take it out? Trying to avoid the high fees for winterizing by the marina. It’s also sitting on a lift. The one with 2 pontoon floaters. To drop I let them fill with water and to lift I run the air pump to flush the water from the floaters. I was told I could leave it on that for the winter. But check every once and a while to make sure snow is not weighing it down and still floating. I installed a ring cam on the dock so I can watch it live.

For the winter… do I have to shrink wrap if I have the OEM mooring cover? It’s the one that costs 900 with the ratchets. I know I would have to use the included poles thay keep it from accumulating snow or water. I’m in NY so we have cold winters. Does the boat come with antifreeze or another type of coolant? I heard I have to drain the coolant and use antifreeze and if it sits for a while I need fuel conditioner. Can I run it with antifreeze if it happens to be a nice day and I wanna take it out? Trying to avoid the high fees for winterizing by the marina. It’s also sitting on a lift. The one with 2 pontoon floaters. To drop I let them fill with water and to lift I run the air pump to flush the water from the floaters. I was told I could leave it on that for the winter. But check every once and a while to make sure snow is not weighing it down and still floating. I installed a ring cam on the dock so I can watch it live.
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't feel very good about leaving it on a floating lift for a NY winter. Top off your fuel and add stabilizer, the rest of everything kind of depends on where you store it, look up @Leojay videos if you want to run antifreeze thru it. Most people don't, but some do. (Heated topic) make sure to blow the water out of the water boxes regardless of what you do

The Yamahas don't use a closed cooling system so no coolant / antifreeze. The block is self-draining once you shut off the engine.You just need to start it up for 15 seconds or so to blow the water out of the exhaust.

You should read the manual about the engine flush procedure and long-term storage. You should hook up a garden hose, start the engine, then turn on the water to the garden hose to flush the block of any dirt and debris before storing it for the winter. Do not start or shut the motor off with the water running! You must shut off the water and then the engine so water doesn't backfill into the cylinders. Then once you are done flushing you can start it again for 15 seconds or so to blow out and residual water.

You can top it off with fuel and add some stabilizer as well. However, leaving it on that pontoon lift would be a scary proposition for me. If that is your only option I'm not sure I would fill it with fuel because of the added weight and the potential for snow adding more weight. Plus I'd be worried about the pontoons taking on water and it slowly letting the boat into the water.... or ice causing damage to the pontoons (not knowing their construction).

Weather will take its toll on the OEM cover over time. Some people shrink wrap but you could use the OEM cover / poles and then get a cheap Harbor Freight tarp and use that over the OEM cover and bungee it down. That will help add some protection to the OEM cover and add some time to its life. You can also put one or two tubs of DampRid in it to help remove any moisture and prevent any mold.

Great tips guys. I flush out the motor every time I get back to dock and button it up. Every single time with salt away.

So I am probably going to put the boat back on the trailer and put it in my friends parking lot. He has a used car lot so it’s pretty big. I’ll lock it up and leave it there for the winter. So the only thing that I have to do is add fuel stabilizer. That is very good to know. I’m probably going to put the buckets of moisture absorber on the inside to keep the moisture out. And then maybe shrink wrap where the cover meets the boat. But I don’t think that would matter since the OeM cover has vents on the top. I already did the first oil change a couple hours before the last use so the grease is done and I have a new filter with new oil. I’m a little skeptical about keeping it on the lift myself. But that’s what insurance is for lol. And I might be able to convince him to let me keep it indoors in the garages. At that point, they are heated and I’ll be good to go. What about draining the fuel?

So I am probably going to put the boat back on the trailer and put it in my friends parking lot. He has a used car lot so it’s pretty big. I’ll lock it up and leave it there for the winter. So the only thing that I have to do is add fuel stabilizer. That is very good to know. I’m probably going to put the buckets of moisture absorber on the inside to keep the moisture out. And then maybe shrink wrap where the cover meets the boat. But I don’t think that would matter since the OeM cover has vents on the top. I already did the first oil change a couple hours before the last use so the grease is done and I have a new filter with new oil. I’m a little skeptical about keeping it on the lift myself. But that’s what insurance is for lol. And I might be able to convince him to let me keep it indoors in the garages. At that point, they are heated and I’ll be good to go. What about draining the fuel?
Draining the fuel?

Not going to drain the fuel. Yamaha reccomends filling up the tank and adding the stabilizer. Im not keeping on the lift. Im going to take it off tomorrow. Gunna put the boat in water and drive to ramp and put on trailer and bring to where I am storing it which is outside on land. I got the damprid buckets. Gunna Use the mooring cover and close up the holes with plastic wrap (not the food kind lol). Then I will put a tarp over the mooring cover with bungees. But before all the covering, I am going to clean and put the vinyl protections on and make sure no water in cabin or anywhere. I am going to use fogging oil as Yamaha recommends it and it doesnt look that hard. Shoot in the intake and shoot down the sparkplug holes. Should be good at that point. I havent used the poles for the mooring cover yet and have no idea how they attach but I def have to use them for the winter. I dont trust the lift and I dont want the boat near the salt water during the winter. Hopefully just 3-4 months out of the water and then in April she can go back on the lift.

Back