• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

05 SX230 - low oil, cranking no start, fluctuating rpms

aabausti

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I purchased an 05 sx230 from a local dealer with the port mr1 engine being fully rebuilt. Comes with 1yr warranty.

I broke it in and it ran great for a while. I then started getting low oil pressure light a few times. I would add a bit of oil every time and have now added almost a quart in the last month using it 1-2x every weekend. Other than that, it runs perfectly and even gets more rpm then the other motor.

Last weekend, it was rained on in the water pretty hard for about 10 min but the bilge kept the water far away from the motor. When trying to start it when leaving for the day it would keep cranking, no start. It finally started then would only get to 8k rpm then jump to 10 and then back for a few min. It finally started running like normal and we went home. I live in very humid Indiana, could this be a factor?

What do you all suggest? I am changing the oil this weekend but don’t plan on doing much maintenance myself given the warranty and I am friends with the owner of dealership. Thanks in advance!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How are you checking the oil? Have you checked your air filter to see if it's saturated with oil?

aabausti

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How are you checking the oil? Have you checked your air filter to see if it's saturated with oil?
When I check the while the boat is level and sitting on the driveway it is barely touching the bottom of the stick and when I check it after running it on the water it is usually above the L mark, but not much. When the oil light comes on it’s always after it’s been running, the oil reads below the L mark. No sign of oil in the bilge.

The fresh is hard to see on the stick compared to the darker oil in the twin

aabausti

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I check the while the boat is level and sitting on the driveway it is barely touching the bottom of the stick and when I check it after running it on the water it is usually above the L mark, but not much. When the oil light comes on it’s always after it’s been running, the oil reads below the L mark. No sign of oil in the bilge.

The fresh is hard to see on the stick compared to the darker oil in the twin
I always add maybe 1/4 of a quart, flip the battery on and off and then it usually runs fine for the rest of the day - till the next outing.

aabausti

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dealer put in a new oil pump, new injectors, plugs and coils. That did not fix the issue and they just put two new ECU's in this week, excited to test it out tomorrow. They lake tested it already and said its running good

okula225

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did the ecu's resolve the problem?

okula225

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven’t had any problems since! Hopefully this is a permanent fix.
Thanks! My stb motor is fluctuating between 2-3k while by port is oka so suspect the problem is a bad ecu