• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

07 AR230 Oil light ---> ECU?

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All,

So my port engine oil light comes on randomly, then port engine goes into limp mode, then I stop, shut down engine and fire back up and everything fine. Happens 1 time per trip on average. It happens at speed and during idle or during no-wake mode. I put a pressure gauge on the engine and have pressure. More details., brand new engine, with new rebuild oil pump, same issue happened on previous engine too.

My question is, has anybody else had this problem? My next step is to swap the ECUs to see if the problem follows the ECU.

Last edited:

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
By brand new engine I’m going to guess it is rebuilt, if true who rebuilt it? I along with a couple other people have had oil pressure issues with engine from SBT. What is the gauge showing you have for oil pressure?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It is a common issue for my boat with the MR-1 engines to have "low" oil pressure at idle. I think it is inherant with all of them. However, I have never experienced the light and going into limp mode. Are you running 10w-40 oil?

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All great questions

1) pressure at 30 -35 mph is at 40 psi which is good. and light will come on at times.... not all the time / randomly.
2) At idle, yes the oil PSI is low, but I think its engorged at idle via ECU..... that why its strange to come on during this time. Mostly when I first fire it up.
3) My new engine is a SBT and that's when it started, I started using 10w-40 and it reduced the frequency. previous engine was SBT - same issue.
4) My factory Starboard engine never had the oil light and always used 10w-30.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All great questions

1) pressure at 30 -35 mph is at 40 psi which is good. and light will come on at times.... not all the time / randomly.
2) At idle, yes the oil PSI is low, but I think its engorged at idle via ECU..... that why its strange to come on during this time. Mostly when I first fire it up.
3) My new engine is a SBT and that's when it started, I started using 10w-40 and it reduced the frequency. previous engine was SBT - same issue.
4) My factory Starboard engine never had the oil light and always used 10w-30.
I’m going to go out on a limb here with no proof and blame the low pressure on the way SBT rebuilds their engines. I know of at least one other person beside the two of us that has had oil pressure problems with their engines.

Do you know what happened to the SBT engine you replaced?

I have a spare oil pressure switch around somewhere and over the weekend I’m going to test it to see at what pressures it opens and closes.

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Brad,

My previous SBT engine had crack in the casting and random oil engine light coming on too. SBT was very helpful but cost me a lot of extra labor on my part. I replaced the oil pressure sensor when the engine was replaced, but also have an analog gauge too to confirm pressure.

Swapping my ECU will tell all.......

I should have an update in 2-3 weeks.