• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

08 AR230 Pissers not working

Mercado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Help! 08 AR230 HO freshwater only. 2nd season. Okay Ive ran weed wacker line down the pissers and still not getting any water out of them when on the hose or on the water. Im getting water out all of the ports near the jet pump that are supposed to be pissing but nothing out the pilot ports on the side. I ran both motors for several minutes at 5-6K rpm and nothing out the pissers. No overheat alarms or anything else. Water intake screens look good from what I can see. Lines appear attached and undamaged. I will detach the pisser line from the motor and flush it to make sure its not plugged but its happening on both motors. What am I missing? If im getting water out the back does it really matter if its coming out the pissers while on the water? Will this damage the motors to run it on the water without water coming out the pissers? Please help save me some money before I have to take it to a mechanic. Video is attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do they work while on the water?

Mercado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
since they don't work on the water either,

most water pressure on the hose at home isn't sufficient to make them work, have they worked at home in the past ?

I would disconnect the indicator line at the engine and blow through it to see if it's blocked,
if it's not blocked I would run the engine on the hose and see if any water came out the outlet at the engine,

I would also clamp my cooling water line at the rear of the "y" connector to force all the hose water into the engine and not reverse flow out the inlet at the pump,

majority of the time bugs create nests in the line, until you rule that out it's the first thing to check,

let us know once you confirm the hose is clear from the engine to the hull exit

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have continuous problems with mud daubers clogging the lines, the last time out it took almost 2 feet of wire to clear it,

I usually just wait until I'm on the water and have my daughter drive while I feed the line down, I find that with the water pressure pushing from one side and the wire poking it frees it up easier (and it can smell TERRIBLE ).

when was the last time you remember them working ?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
this is a great video made by buckbuck, if you haven't seen it yet, it's definitely worth watching and will help you understand you cooling lines,

Mercado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay good news I think but still questions. The good news I think both lines were actually plugged with seaweed (see attached photo #2). It was far down the line and close to the motor. I had to use 18ga galvanized wire to push through it. Then I disconnected the line at the motor and ran water through. It pushed the large plugs out and then water ran through fine. I ran the motors with the pisser line disconnected and there wasnt enough water pressure to push water up out of the exit where the pisser line attaches to the motor. It was bubbling up a bit and there was water just inside the metal port so I believe water is getting to that point. So needless to say I did not get any water out of the pissers after I reconnected them and ran the motors on the hose. I did not clamp off the line at the Y and try to run it. But with the big clogs that came out Im hoping that was it! Now to my questions.
1. Is my next step to put it on actual water and run it for a while to see if it starts pissing again?
2. Should it be pissing out both the engine pilots and the exhaust pilots? How long does it have to run and at what RPM before it starts pissing out both engine and exhaust holes?
3. During all of this I noticed on the starboard motor a grease tube that runs from the motor to the jet pump had become disconnected from what I believe is the jet pump and had squirted grease out (see photo #1). I reconnected the hose to the jet pump. The hose did not have a clamp on it and seemed to come off too easy. Do I need to find a clamp for this? The port motor tube doesnt have a clamp either. Do I need to add grease to the grease fitting at the motor? if so what kind and how much?

Thanks for all of your help. Im slowly figuring this stuff out and I appreciate your patience.

289825828_574391827550475_2660248573264930055_n.jpg288733949_596512808540669_4832992994573440208_n.jpg

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you’re on to something where you need to run it on water. If you haven’t seen how the cooling system works you should look at it under the FAQ section or video above.. When running on the hose the starboard pisser may work a little because it has less length of travel to reach the pisser compared to the port side (my hose has enough pressure to show the starboard side). When you are in the water the jet pump forces water through the cooling intake vent and tubes to then reach the pissers as well, so, much more pressure than your garden hose! If you haven’t already you really should pull both pumps and inspect the intake to the cooling system, very easy to do!

That tube is just a grease tube that runs from the intermediate bearing to the grease nipple near the oil cap. I’m guessing someone has either replaced that intermediate bearing before or has greased it before. Usually you put a new small zip tie on that tube connecting to the bearing housing. That grease just helps the seal around the bearing not the bearing itself so don’t worry about greasing it. If you over-grease it it may ruin the seal and then ruin the bearing.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That just looks like grass clippings and junk that could have accumulated through the outlet randomly or with an insect, etc.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Bugs make nests in the hoses put golf tees in when not in use

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1. Is my next step to put it on actual water and run it for a while to see if it starts pissing again?
2. Should it be pissing out both the engine pilots and the exhaust pilots? How long does it have to run and at what RPM before it starts pissing out both engine and exhaust holes?
3. During all of this I noticed on the starboard motor a grease tube that runs from the motor to the jet pump had become disconnected from what I believe is the jet pump and had squirted grease out (see photo #1). I reconnected the hose to the jet pump. The hose did not have a clamp on it and seemed to come off too easy. Do I need to find a clamp for this? The port motor tube doesnt have a clamp either. Do I need to add grease to the grease fitting at the motor? if so what kind and how much?
You never told us when the last time you saw the indicators working,

1. I would remove the thermostat just to see what it looked like, if it was anywhere near "not completely obstructed I would think you're ok,

since it's large clippings I find it hard to believe that made it past the strainer at the jet nozzle, I was expecting either solid slime or mud,

Do you have a YDS ? if not you should buy one or find a member close by that you could actually monitor engine temps in real time.

at this point I would proceed as if there are no problems since you haven't gotten a temp. warning light or the engine has gone into limp mode

take it to the lake and run it, but within the first 30 seconds of hard throttle you should see the indicators working, if not I would remove the hoses at the engine one at a time and rev the engine to see if they are producing or if you have an internal blockage (which I doubt since no warning light or limp mode)

2. it should dribble out of two at idle and at half throttle you should start seeing flow from all holes

3. that is the grease fitting for your intermediate bearing, do not over grease this or it will blow the seal and leak water into the boat,

You should also check your scupper valve,
in my signature below is a link of common issues with your model boat, it would be good for you to review them along with a look at our FAQ