• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

09 212x throttles aren't smooth

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When pulling a surfer behind the boat, I find it every difficult to feather the throttles for just a slight RPM/speed adjustment. Is there any kind of adjustment I can do to make the throttles have a more fluid/smooth movement?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
do they move smoothly or are they jerky and you can't find the correct rpm?

we probably need to determine if the problem is in the cables or the throttle binnacles or on the engine,

in the FAQ there is a write up about fixing "slipping" throttles, maybe you can reference that to apply some grease ??

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
They are smooth if I am just pressing them forward to accelerate, but if I am trying to just feather it up or down for 100rpm or 200rpm its tough to do without tapping them. I can't just push them forward. Not sure if that description makes sense. Whats the best way to determine where the problem might be?

Then again, maybe the throttles are supposed to be this way?

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Push the black button on the side of the throttles to disengage the bucket and only operate the throttle cable. I had my boat for 6 seasons before I read on this forum you can do that. That will tell you if the shifter cables are the culprit.

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
It feels exactly the same when doing that.
Wanted to bump this back up - my 2008 212x (new to me) is exactly the same. Because it's hard to feather the throttle to slightly higher or lower rpms, the boat seems to want to go from 1500-2000 rpms to 5000 right out of the shoot because I can't get the throttles to move just a little bit without a huge jump up or down in rpms. I also have a hard time holding my speed at a certain rpm - at lower rpms the throttles want to slowly slide back toward neutral (lowering speed and rpms) - there are certain points where the throttle will hold speed/rpms but it's not constant throughout.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
can't help with the feathering issue but the slipping throttles is a common problem,

look in my signature line below for "known issues" with your type of boat and how to fix,

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks Scott!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could buy something like this

This makes your throttle controls super smooth, but requires a little fabrication and cutting the hole where the throttle controls go to be a little bigger.
Your current lever only controls throttle from 45 degrees to 80 degrees, and same for reverse -45 to 80 or so.
These controls use a separate lever for the gate and control the throttle throughout the full motion of the throttle level. I can set my RPM to 2K 3K 4K or anywhere in between, and I can make minute adjustments without issue20200523_181118.jpg.

Last edited:

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Wow, very interesting. Not sure I'm capable of handling that type of install myself, but I'll definitely investigate. Appreciate the post.

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd bet it's the cables. Just like the steering cable issue, they get clogged & age and won't operate as they should.