• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

1.8 motor oil has water

Corvettedan22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi guys need some help.

Have a 2016 242 with 1.8 motors.

the oil is always so clean I can’t even tell where the line is.

well today Ifound water in my oil, and I’m very upset. I did not over heat andnothing has happened.

I pumped the oil and changed it twice hoping it was condensation or something, but I don’t think I’m going to get that lucky.

Im very mechanical and will be doing all the work but I just don’t know where to start.

Im torn between figuring this out or finishing the summer with some oil changes and then getting a new motor.

it went out of warranty in may, maybe I can get a new extended warranty ? Of course flush the oil before inspections.

im not sure where to start

Figure out first why you getting water in the motor

Does it run? My experience with water infiltration is that it’s most likely water intrusion from the bilge. Did you take on a lot of water lately?

I’d do what you’re doing, start by changing the oil, run it on land (with a hose) for a few minutes, check the oil, run it in the water, check the oil. Often if you get water, it takes 2 or 3 oil changes to get it out.

I certainly wouldn’t invest in a new engine without exhausting all other approaches first.

Good luck

Does it run? My experience with water infiltration is that it’s most likely water intrusion from the bilge. Did you take on a lot of water lately?

I’d do what you’re doing, start by changing the oil, run it on land (with a hose) for a few minutes, check the oil, run it in the water, check the oil. Often if you get water, it takes 2 or 3 oil changes to get it out.

I certainly wouldn’t invest in a new engine without exhausting all other approaches first.

Good luck

Do you know the complete history of the boat? Were there any recent events that you found alarming? Did you or anyone else recently perform any type of maintenance on the boat? When running on the hose, has the procedure always been ENGINE ON-WATER ON, WATER OFF-ENGINE OFF?

Yes it runs.

I have not filled the motor
Area with water. So concerned about it being something else.

yes it’s my boat.
No events, no hose use, no problems…

Do you know the complete history of the boat? Were there any recent events that you found alarming? Did you or anyone else recently perform any type of maintenance on the boat? When running on the hose, has the procedure always been ENGINE ON-WATER ON, WATER OFF-ENGINE OFF?

I would start with a compression check.

Yes it runs.

I have not filled the motor
Area with water. So concerned about it being something else.

Hmmm. Once you changed the oil did it still have lots of water in it? I’d also suggest a compression check.

Have you ever run it on a hose?

Sorry, just saw that you’ve never run it on a hose. Compression check is definitely the next step unless the oil is now almost clear.

You said you changed the oil twice. What did it look like after the 2nd change and after you ran it?

Read the plugs and see if any of the cylinders are having trouble........water in compression engine are usually blown gaskets(lots of head gaskets) if its a blown hrad gasket it will show up in the plugs. Followed by crackS in the head or block water jackets. I noticed on you tube a few 1.8 engines in jet skis with oil water were thought to be gaskets and the theme on the 1.8 ENDED UP BEING cracks in the heads on, or near the head bolt bosses. Must be a week area of the head casting process.

I was surprised to see head cracks were more of a problem on Yamaha than head gaskets which are a high percent on 5.7 v8 and up auto blocks.

When I had a water-in-oil issue with the MR-1 Port engine it turned out to be corrosion in the cylinder head between Cylinder #1 and a cooling water passageway. The red dot is in the center of the corrosion canal.

1626537847406.jpeg

I have not seen others with this particular issue, but cylinder heads are a very likely place to start looking.

Yamaha did have a period where there was bad heads that were cracking. Not sure what the exact time window was but i think it was right around 2015.

I would say that in addition to the compression test, you want to see if you can change the oil and get the water out. I say 'see' because we have some folks with this issue where they change the oil, get it clear again, run it on the hose one time and there is water back in the oil--so they can never run the engine hard to warm it up and drive off the rest of the water. If that is the case, then a) you probably have a block issue, and b) you probably need to change it so it is clear and then start breaking into the engine to find the issue with the block. There are several good threads on here with pics and whole stories--investigate those.

If you change the oil and it keeps looking better, and you run it on hose and it looks better, then it is time to take it out and run it like you stole it to get that engine nice and hot and evaporate all the water you can. Then try to find out where it came from.

But, if I were a betting man, I would bet that when you put it on the hose again you have water in the oil again... Most people who don't flooded their boat.

Good luck and let us know how it is going.

Hi guys need some help.

Have a 2016 242 with 1.8 motors.

the oil is always so clean I can’t even tell where the line is.

well today Ifound water in my oil, and I’m very upset. I did not over heat andnothing has happened.

I pumped the oil and changed it twice hoping it was condensation or something, but I don’t think I’m going to get that lucky.

Im very mechanical and will be doing all the work but I just don’t know where to start.

Im torn between figuring this out or finishing the summer with some oil changes and then getting a new motor.

it went out of warranty in may, maybe I can get a new extended warranty ? Of course flush the oil before inspections.

im not sure where to start
So sorry to hear that, it just sucks.

I had the exact same issue almost two years ago in my 2016 AR240, turned out to be a cracked head. Unfortunately, it is not an isolated problem, turns out. I would not ride the boat in this condition.

In my case, it ended up being fixed under warranty, but after much ado. They did the whole head assembly swap. The part was in limited supply already back then...

I had a long thread going here on on my milky oil problem. Even had some effed up people posting nasty comments, lol.

--

No
So sorry to hear that, it just sucks.

I had the exact same issue almost two years ago in my 2016 AR240, turned out to be a cracked head. Unfortunately, it is not an isolated problem, turns out. I would not ride the boat in this condition.

In my case, it ended up being fixed under warranty, but after much ado. They did the whole head assembly swap. The part was in limited supply already back then...

I had a long thread going here on on my milky oil problem. Even had some effed up people posting nasty comments, lol.

--

Yes that’s what I was thinking to check for. But I didn’t think that was happening as much in the 1.8

No

Yes that’s what I was thinking to check for. But I didn’t think that was happening as much in the 1.8
Did you discover what the final issue was?

Back