• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

$100,000 boats with no suspension

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought it was weird when I saw a 26' Grady white on a trailer with no leafs. So I started to pay more attention and noticed a bunch of high dollar boats on trailers with the axle bolted right to the frame. I guess they are using tire pressure for suspension. Why would they do this?

Perhaps they are using torsion axles?

Leaf_spring_axle_small_trailer_axle_rubber.jpg

Yes Torsion Axles are used more commonly now... depending on how much $$ you want to pay for the trailer.

That looks nice but no. I walked up to it. Just bolted right to it. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow

Maybe so it doesn't bounce so much? My Crownline will bounce with the right bump and speed, that's 8,500 lbs!!

Properly designed suspension should reduce bouncing, not increase it. Of course, "properly designed" is a stretch relative to virtually all recreational equipment trailers!

@Marvin willis the leaf springs were the first things to go on the galvanized EZ Loader trailer that came with my boat. The Load Rite Aluminum trailer that I have now has the torsion axles that @Bruce shared a pic of above. I feel that the whole trailer setup handles better with my new trailer.

It's not a "live axle" type of suspension. The axle is bolted to the frame and doesn't move. I had a torsion suspension setup on our first camper and it road and pulled beautifully going down the road. Each tire reacts to the road surface independently giving a much more settled ride. It'll be something I look for in the next boat trailer or camper we get. Our current camper has leaf springs and I feel that it bounces a little too much and they call it Trailair.

You can't really see the torsion arm but I bet it's there. My aluminum trailer was the same way.

SUSFIG4.gif

Back