• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

165ID Reverse Bucket, Gone and Bracket Sheared Off

CJackson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
2017 165. Put in water this past weekend, while playing around gear shifted by itself into reverse. Lost neutral and reverse, pulling it out of the water to discover absolute carniage and no bucket.

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Wow. That sucks a lot.

I'm guessing your bucket wasn't latching when in the full forward position. If it wasn't, then yes, your bucket can come down suddenly. It's happened to me. That's when I made sure it always latched.

I assume your boat "submarined" pretty hard and you got lots of water over the gunwales. lol

CJackson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Wow. That sucks a lot.

I'm guessing your bucket wasn't latching when in the full forward position. If it wasn't, then yes, your bucket can come down suddenly. It's happened to me. That's when I made sure it always latched.

I assume your boat "submarined" pretty hard and you got lots of water over the gunwales. lol
Everyone keeps telling me, you had to of hit something to do that damage. I’m like, I’m telling you I didn’t hit anything, just running 50mph and whipping it around like they’re made to do, and all of a sudden, day on the lake is over! Waiting on a quote from the dealer to fix.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Oh, I believe it at those speeds. There's a LOT of force if it came down suddenly. Make sure when you get it fixed it is LATCHED when in the full forward position. There is a latch and a spring on the left side of the bucket. It needs to lock in the up position. Then you can do whatever you want and not worry about this happening.

A lot of people don't make sure their buckets are latched because they want perfect neutral. I get it. But this is what can happen.

CJackson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Oh, I believe it at those speeds. There's a LOT of force if it came down suddenly. Make sure when you get it fixed it is LATCHED when in the full forward position. There is a latch and a spring on the left side of the bucket. It needs to lock in the up position. Then you can do whatever you want and not worry about this happening.

A lot of people don't make sure their buckets are latched because they want perfect neutral. I get it. But this is what can happen.
Thank you for the advice, greatly appreciated.

Derek J

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
I had the same thing happen to the starboard reverse gate on my 2015 215. I was going slow, pulling slack out of a line, then went to reverse for a full stop and the shifter stuck. Got back to no gate, except the left side with the latch and cable connector. I have some pictures on the Scarab facebook forum if you want to check it out. Again, didn't hit anything. I've ordered the reverse gate and either wrong or defective as the mounting point for the latch is off by about 3cm, enough that lever won't disengage it when it's latched up. Gate was about $250 and 1/2 of the mounting hardware was another $57. Hardware was one the left side and gone on the right....that may have been the issue.

CJackson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I’ll definitely check them out. Thanks for sharing!