• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

190/195 Wake Size Vs 2019 212 (not related to surfing)

Dornbox

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
So we currently have a 2019 212x that we love and that got the whole family into wake surfing but recently my state passed stricter wake surfing regulations that has made it impractical and nearly impossible to do on our lake due to how narrow / small it is. Recently, we've stopped running ballast and switched from surfing to wake boarding and knee boarding. The problem is, our 212 still throws one of the largest wakes (if not the largest) out of all the boats on our lake and the people who used to deal with it before the new rules passed, are now getting darn right angry and confrontational. So as responsible adults, our realistic options are to sell our place and move to a larger lake or say goodbye to the 212X and get something smaller. We're mixed but ultimately we love our little lake so we're thinking about getting a SX195.

The pickle now is, I have no ideal if the 2 feet shorter hull and one less engine will make a big change in the size of the wake the boat makes when compared to the 212? The 212 without any ballast, a couple string bean kids and a 1/4 tank of gas still produces a wake that is way too big and creates splashing waves at the shore from 200ft plus away at lower water sport speeds. We're thinking about a newer 195 but if there was a substantial difference in wake size between the 195 and 190 we'd likely go for it but if the weight and hull shape will always be a problem from a Yamaha we'd also like to know. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
This is literally my first post here, so please take it with a grain of salt.

I recently took delivery of an SX195 (I really like it) but one of the things I was most surprised with was how little wake it generates at slow speeds. I also live on a pretty small lake here in NH and was worried about being 'that guy' but honestly it throws significantly less wake than a traditional prop driven bowrider of the same size.

This is literally my first post here, so please take it with a grain of salt.

I recently took delivery of an SX195 (I really like it) but one of the things I was most surprised with was how little wake it generates at slow speeds. I also live on a pretty small lake here in NH and was worried about being 'that guy' but honestly it throws significantly less wake than a traditional prop driven bowrider of the same size.
Many thanks. Yeah I know what you mean but unfortunately I am currently that guy. Lol How’s the wake at 10 to 15 or at speeds before plane?

Last edited:
How’s the wake at 10 to 15 or at speeds before plane?

I don't travel at those speeds much, my lake (Monomonac) has one large open area and a lot of little coves and narrows so I find that I'm either puttering along at 5mph @ ~2k in no-wake mode or I jump it up on plane 20mph @ ~6k. I realize those #'s will vary greatly on lake conditions and loaded boat weight but that's what I've been averaging.

I'll be out in the next few days though and I'll see if I can take a few pics of my wake at those mid speeds.

So we currently have a 2019 212x that we love and that got the whole family into wake surfing but recently my state passed stricter wake surfing regulations that has made it impractical and nearly impossible to do on our lake due to how narrow / small it is. Recently, we've stopped running ballast and switched from surfing to wake boarding and knee boarding. The problem is, our 212 still throws one of the largest wakes (if not the largest) out of all the boats on our lake and the people who used to deal with it before the new rules passed, are now getting darn right angry and confrontational. So as responsible adults, our realistic options are to sell our place and move to a larger lake or say goodbye to the 212X and get something smaller. We're mixed but ultimately we love our little lake so we're thinking about getting a SX195.

The pickle now is, I have no ideal if the 2 feet shorter hull and one less engine will make a big change in the size of the wake the boat makes when compared to the 212? The 212 without any ballast, a couple string bean kids and a 1/4 tank of gas still produces a wake that is way too big and creates splashing waves at the shore from 200ft plus away at lower water sport speeds. We're thinking about a newer 195 but if there was a substantial difference in wake size between the 195 and 190 we'd likely go for it but if the weight and hull shape will always be a problem from a Yamaha we'd also like to know. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
You're not an "irresponsible adult" if you tell people to get f'd when they're wrong and angry about something. Just say'ing - don't give in just because they bark the loudest.

Before you make any decisions, perhaps you could put out an “ask” on this site (and maybe the FB page) for a ride on someone else’s 190/195 to judge the wake size for yourself. Somewhere there is also a thread where folks have offered others rides on their boats.

Jim

You're not an "irresponsible adult" if you tell people to get f'd when they're wrong and angry about something. Just say'ing - don't give in just because they bark the loudest.
I believe that Maine has new wake boats laws and the OP is trying to abide by those laws AND be a good neighbor. Do agree the final decision belongs to him.

Jim

Back