• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

190 FSH or 195 FSH

FNJ03

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello all I am looking to upgrade into a bigger boat. I have been doing some reading and would love some feedback from some owners.
I currently own a 15 foot alaskin DLX with a 25 Yamaha on it. We love the boat but my family has out grown it. I have always had Yamaha outboards and jet skis growing up. I like the Yamaha FSH sport but i cant decide between the 190 or 195. I have always felt that the more power the better when it comes to boats but is it worth the cost in fuel.

I have read that the SVHO is a pig on fuel and can only run premium. I not looking to run around the bay at wot all day. Just to do some fishing and tubing with the kids. Maybe some cruising around and occasionally take up to 8 people out for a beach day. Is the 1.8 HO capable of that with out being worked hard. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Thanks.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
FWIW - all of this is in salt water in a large sound, my FSH 190 cruises at 28-30 mph with three people (my family) and full fuel at 6500 RPMs. With 4 adults and full fuel, it cruises at 25-27 mph at 6500 RPMs.

The most I have had on board was 4 adults and 2 teens; I was pulling them around on a tube. It did fine, but I was using 7000 RPMs most of the time.

It is not a fast boat, but neither is it a slow boat. If you are carrying lots of people, you may find it under powered especially for water sports.

FNJ03

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ya I do all my boating in salt water. I have 3 kids 9 and under so weight wise there one adult put together. 25 MPH is a nice cruising speed. I like the idea of the svho but dont like 91 being the only fuel to run.

John_D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Wow... haven't heard that about the SVHO being a gas hog actually the opposite. Hummm.... I guess its who you talk to. As for the 91 octane, it has no ethanol so I prefer that. Have always run 91 fuel in any boat I have owned. Good luck with your new boat :)

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an SX195 so same SVHO engine, and based on a lot of posts by those with 190s, the lack of the extra ooooomph is the most common complaint. I chose the 195 because I wanted the extra power. Rather have it and not need it, then want/need it and not have it.

As far as fuel goes, premium fuel is a bit more expensive, but really run an Excel spreadsheet on your estimated usage and see what you get. I cruise in a saltwater bay that's pretty choppy around 30-35mph at about 6k Rpms. At that rate I burn about 8-12 gph pending wind, water temp and how much weight in the boat. I can cruise on plane about 22-27pmh and be closer to 5.5k rpm. There I get anywhere from 5-8 gph.

At my normal cruise, assume 10 gph and I put about 45 hours on per season, that's 450 gallons over a season at ~$2.50 a gallon. So $1,125 for the season. Again not super accurate as I mix in wide open throttle, no wake zone cruises and varying usage, but it at least gets a rough idea.

Assume a 190 (maybe someone who has better gph numbers can chime in as these are my guesses) say at 6gph at cruise (albeit a little slower) at that same 45 hours and assume fuel at ~$2.00 a gallon. There the costs would be About $540 for the season. So roughly double, give or take.

So take worst case, for about ~$500 more per season (again, rough estimate as your mileage and usage may vary) you get a higher top end, better hole shot, more power for tow sports and carrying people, faster cruise, and the potential back end resale value.

Up to you and your personal needs for a boat to see if it's worth it. Again there is obviously the price difference upfront as well, but that also typically includes other features like carpeting, pop up cleats, etcc between the 190 and 195 models. That may also be worth it based on what you want and budget.

Best thing to do is like everyone will say here, figure out your budget first, then get the best bang for your buck. Whether that's new, used or your "second boat" first if you can afford it. And feel free to search on the forum and ask questions as everyone here is more the happy to spend other people's money 😉

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hello all I am looking to upgrade into a bigger boat. I have been doing some reading and would love some feedback from some owners.
I currently own a 15 foot alaskin DLX with a 25 Yamaha on it. We love the boat but my family has out grown it. I have always had Yamaha outboards and jet skis growing up. I like the Yamaha FSH sport but i cant decide between the 190 or 195. I have always felt that the more power the better when it comes to boats but is it worth the cost in fuel.

I have read that the SVHO is a pig on fuel and can only run premium. I not looking to run around the bay at wot all day. Just to do some fishing and tubing with the kids. Maybe some cruising around and occasionally take up to 8 people out for a beach day. Is the 1.8 HO capable of that with out being worked hard. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Thanks.
@FNJ03 .....any boat is a "gas pig" at WOT but with the SVHO you get more HP and torque on a flatter curve at lower RPM so I'm not to sure about the "gas pig" claim. Anyway, I always go for the biggest engine the manufacturer makes for the hull and have never been disappointed. Have you ever heard of anyone saying they have too much HP or Torque? I haven't. Have you heard anyone say their boat might be under powered.........

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went with the non supercharged engine to guarantee there will never be a supercharger problem or a supercharger rebuild needed. And because there’s only going to be two people in the boat 95% of the time.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I went with the non supercharged engine to guarantee there will never be a supercharger problem or a supercharger rebuild needed. And because there’s only going to be two people in the boat 95% of the time.
@bigwaves.... sounds like a perfect fit for your needs. In the future, I respectfully suggest that you don't rule -out a Yamaha supercharged product as the new Yamaha superchargers are so much more reliable than any other PWC or Jet Boat supercharger, in my opinion, that I do not consider them an issue at all.

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bigwaves.... sounds like a perfect fit for your needs. In the future, I respectfully suggest that you don't rule -out a Yamaha supercharged product as the new Yamaha superchargers are so much more reliable than any other PWC or Jet Boat supercharger, in my opinion, that I do not consider them an issue at all.
Please don’t take my remarks as any slight to Yamaha superchargers. I’m sure they’re as bulletproof as the engines are. Awesome boats! Supercharger wasn’t necessary for the intended use and I was looking for simplification in my second boat. I have plenty of “complication” in my big boat. Lol

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I don't consider my 195 to be a gas hog at all compared to other boats I have been in. I have only filled it up 3 times all season so far and still have 3/4 of a tank in her now. But I do a lot of floating and swimming, etc. Usually do 3-4 laps around any lake (smallish lakes in Indiana) and go anchor up. If you get a 195 put a blow off valve on it for the super charger clutch. Only run about $300 from fizzlefactory.com and the install is pretty damn easy. If I can do it, anybody can

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Please don’t take my remarks as any slight to Yamaha superchargers. I’m sure they’re as bulletproof as the engines are. Awesome boats! Supercharger wasn’t necessary for the intended use and I was looking for simplification in my second boat. I have plenty of “complication” in my big boat. Lol
@bigwaves absolutely no flag on the play brother. All opinions strengthen this forum, in my opinion. I hope you weren't offended by my comments! I just wanted to put it out there that supercharger technology in PWCs and jet boats has improved, reliability-wise, dramatically in the past few years. Cheers, MT