• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

190sx

Kade12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat does not pull tubes well at all turn sharp boat just slows down to like 12mph And if if u do slow turn still drops speed but will pull tube in straight line 28 mph I cannot sling shot anybody on tube at all boat only had 18hrs we just recently started ski and tubing so didn’t know about lack of power or is there something else wrong

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My boat does not pull tubes well at all turn sharp boat just slows down to like 12mph And if if u do slow turn still drops speed but will pull tube in straight line 28 mph I cannot sling shot anybody on tube at all boat only had 18hrs we just recently started ski and tubing so didn’t know about lack of power or is there something else wrong
Hi Kade12,

You may want to look at cobra jet fins to help with the steering issue although I don’t have them on mine I’m pretty sure turning would be much easier with them. you can try feathering the throttle a little bit on turns that’s what I do. I guess a few things come to mind...are you tubing with adults on the tube how many person tube is it? I have an AR 195 and it seems to handle kids on a tube fairly well I can slingshot them but it is hard to keep acceleration going without cavitation on a sharp turn and depending on the water conditions etc. I would think you should definitely be able to go faster if needed.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hi Kade12,

You may want to look at cobra jet fins to help with the steering issue although I don’t have them on mine I’m pretty sure turning would be much easier with them. you can try feathering the throttle a little bit on turns that’s what I do. I guess a few things come to mind...are you tubing with adults on the tube how many person tube is it? I have an AR 195 and it seems to handle kids on a tube fairly well I can slingshot them but it is hard to keep acceleration going without cavitation on a sharp turn and depending on the water conditions etc. I would think you should definitely be able to go faster if needed.
@Bdog .....it may also be important to note that your AR195 has the SVHO supercharged 1.8 whereas I believe @Kade12 with an SX190 has the 1.8 HO there is a uuuuuuge difference in the torque and pulling power of those two engines!

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@Bdog .....it may also be important to note that your AR195 has the SVHO supercharged 1.8 whereas I believe @Kade12 with an SX190 has the 1.8 HO there is a uuuuuuge difference in the torque and pulling power of those two engines!
Good point! Forgot about that!

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have a Ar190 and found the length of your rope makes a big difference. When iam pulling small kids and they dont want to get thrown or spray in the face I use 65' of rope. When it's my sons and they want a crazy "throw us dad" ride I use 45'. In between I use 55'. That being said I bought a airhead tow rope from Amazon it is 3 piece a 45' and 2 10' extensions.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Airhead makes a tow rope with a bungee in it or you can get the bungee as an add on to your tow rope. Might help??

Kade12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Already bought that didn’t help much sure thought I would

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure if this helps, My boat has the twin engines, but I noticed a very noticeable difference pulling tubes when I over inflated them a lot. They towed much smoother and easier. I don't have any issues pulling but i have a different boat. Definitely felt less "draggy" with the over inflation. I use my dewalt air compressor to fill up, then I bought A high pressure hand pump from West Marine and over inflate. Also they skip across the water better.

Hopefully it helps.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Kade12 I have a 2017 AR190. Same engine/pump setup as yours. I previously had a 3.0L Mercruiser I/O in a 19ft bowrider.

You have to change your technique with the Jet as compared to a regular boat. Just like docking, or trailering, it's a different boat, and requires a different technique. Same reason a good driver in a Miata can keep up with a bad driver in a Corvette on a road course, good technique makes all the difference.

In a prop driven boat you just hammer down and turn. The centripital force pulls the tube out of the wake (as it attempts to straighten the rope, and the wake curves under the tube).

With a jet you have to gain speed, turn (which scrubs speed), straighten out to let the pump catch up, THEN hammer down and accelerate. Adding throttle in the middle of a HARD turn will just cavitate the pump. Even a well sealed pump with an L13 cone (I have that setup BTW) will cavitate in this condition. Just the nature of the beast of a jet pump IMO. SO, try instead to start around 22-24mph, turn into the corner hard, then loosen the turn as you add throttle gently. You can get quite the pull without a super tight turn, and by adding throttle while monitoring cavitation.......100% technique IMO.

I can easily get 100lbs+ of riders (single or combined) outside the wake. It's only when I have two little people out there that getting them outside the wake is difficult. I have to add speed to get the little ones out, and they typically don't like that. "Normal" tubing speeds are 22-25mph for me. I let it drop to 20 in the turns, and I'll sneak as high as 27-28 before turning depending on conditions and riders.

Also, as mentioned above you want that tube FULL of air. Not kinda full, or "yea that's good enough" full, you want it TIGHT. This allows the tube to skip across the water instead of drag down into it. I run a standard 60ft Airhead Tube Rope, and it does OK, although the riders get some spray to the face when riding directly behind the boat.

I promise power isn't the issue here. The 190 has plenty of it for tubing, just need to adjust HOW you use it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FYI, I ran a 60' air head 4k tube rope, since I pull the Super Big Mable HD 3 person, pain in my ass to store, inflate and deflate, tube - which BTW I never get to to ride cause no one is comfortable pulling it. I bought another 4k rope that had extensions and now I tow at 70' and it works out great, the spray is much better.

Also it allows me now to have a back up in case something happens to it........ won't jinx myself and state what that could be.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FYI, I ran a 60' air head 4k tube rope, since I pull the Super Big Mable HD 3 person, pain in my ass to store, inflate and deflate, tube - which BTW I never get to to ride cause no one is comfortable pulling it. I bought another 4k rope that had extensions and now I tow at 70' and it works out great, the spray is much better.
I feel your pain. I also rarely ride my tube, but get the work of inflating/deflating/storing/drying/wrangling when it does get used.

Luckily we don't use ours often, so it mostly stays stowed and dry.

Kade12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What’s the top speed of your 190’s mine woulndnt get much over 30mph this weekend I took a video show you guys just me and my dog in boat And about 44% full gas

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Under those conditions my Ar190 will break 40 easy. Full tank 6 adults with 3 ladies in the bow, not so much.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Under those conditions my Ar190 will break 40 easy. Full tank 6 adults with 3 ladies in the bow, not so much