• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

195S or SX220 or 222S - Looking for opinions and thoughts.

Which Boat

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Some of you may remember that I had a 2019 SX190. We sold the boat last summer and have regretted it ever since. Main reason for selling was I had heart surgery in July of 2022 and if anything would have happened, I did not want my wife to be burdened by the boat. Well everything went well and we are looking for a new boat. We are completely undecided but have it down to 3. All boats are 2023 models and they are as follows, 195S, SX220 and the 222S. I know we are not talking apples to apples here but I will explain. We loved our SX190 and that is why we are considering the 195S, gives us everything our boat had and more. The SX220 gives us the bigger boat but takes us back to the entry level type boat like the SX190. The 222S gives us the bigger boat and like the 195S, gives us the upgrade but the price is what I am struggling with the most.

We live in Raleigh and most of our boating is going to be in the lakes but we have family in North Myrtle and we do want to use the boat in the coastal NC areas also this year. Now that the heart is fixed, I am more comfortable traveling with the boat.

I am looking for real opinions and reviews from owners of each of the 3 boats, not just "get the bigger boat" I am a little concerned about the TR1 engines in the SX220 and that is my main hold up on the SX220.Im really looking for someone that has an SX220 to give an honest opinion.

Let me know your thoughts both good and bad. After reading the my post, take a minute to take the poll.

Thanks everyone and I look forward to your responses.

Last edited:
The SX 220 is very much on the small list of contenders for my next boat, as I really like the updates to the 21’s. I see this boat as great bang for the buck. If money wasn’t an issue, I’d be looking at the 222S, however.

Jim

A lot of 190/195 (including myself) picked that size for its ability to fit in a normal garage. I would probably consider a 240/242 before going to new 220/222. I would have to see where that extra 3 feet is placed over a 190/195.

We have a 2022 195s, and love it, picked for its size and weight and features. Just saw the sx220 yesterday and was not really impressed. Bigger is nice but it was very much lacking in finish compared to the 195s in my opinion and like you said. I said weight just due to the fact that we are towing with an SUV and not a truck.

We have a 2022 195s, and love it, picked for its size and weight and features. Just saw the sx220 yesterday and was not really impressed. Bigger is nice but it was very much lacking in finish compared to the 195s in my opinion and like you said. I said weight just due to the fact that we are towing with an SUV and not a truck.
If you’re focusing on finish, you really should be comparing the 222S to the 195S, as these would be comparable boats of different sizes.

Inland water, more standard extras, and wanting the boat to fit easily into a garage the 195S may be a better choice.

if you want to run the boat in bigger or rougher water, the 220/222’s are a better choice with their twin engines, higher freeboard, and much larger fuel tank. Gotta say I also dig the rear seating changes on the 22’s.

Both the 19’s and 22’s are great boats and are optimal boats depending on one’s needs and wants.

Jim

My personal opinion only. I've been on a couple of boats with the TR-1 engines on them and I absolutely hate them. That much higher rev and noise is just too much for me. If I was to buy a boat today from the choices you presented, I would only buy the 222. I love my 195 but would like the bigger boat. But if I could, I would go for the 250. Pretty much the same price as the 222 and I don't need the little upgrades in the finish.

Last edited:
I’ve owned a SX210 and currently own a FSH195 and 252SE. Have a friend with a AR190 that I’ve driven and ridden in a few times.

I had no issues with the TR-1s. Good fuel efficient motors.

The bigger the boat the better it does in water. I have been in both the 19’ ft and the 25’ in the open gulf. It’s like being on a motor cycle compared to a Bentley. The 19’ sits very close to the water and just doesn’t feel all that safe.

On the flip side the 19’ is very easy to clean, maintain and store. The 25’ is a pain in the ass.

The 22’ would be the best of both worlds but if you can afford a 222S, without a doubt get an AR250. You would be stupid not to IMO.

Back