• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2 Battery System With a Perko Selector Switch

Sjetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello Guys, new Yamaha boat owner here. I have a 2009 SX230 with a 2 battery system & Perko selector installed. I am an aircraft jet mechanic and it is killing me not having a service manual or wiring diagram to be able to determine how things really operate on this boat. I have called 5 different Yamaha boat dealers in Texas and received 5 relatively different answers.

Can anyone in tech land tell me if the motors have a charging system that are able to charge both batteries when they are running with the selector on "both" ?

Thanks

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Quote, (.....able to charge both batteries when they are running with the selector on "both" ?).

In the switch 'Both' position #1 post, #2 post, and the 'C' output post are all paralleled.
If the dual battery switch is wired correctly then 'Both' banks will get charged while the engine is running.
There is only one correct way to wire a conventional dual battery Perko switch.
Nothing battery-direct (the only exception would be the bilge pump/float switch if you moor the boat, which is rare).
Battery #1 to switch position #1. Battery #2 to switch position #2.
Starter feed, stators feed, helm buss, and all other electrical accessories to the 'C' output of the switch.
All grounds, to engine block, both batteries, etc., are common.

'Both' or 'All' selection when running.
Select one bank only, whether #1 or #2, when at rest, engines off, and using electrical accessories.
Select 'Off' when placed on the trailer, in the slip, or when AC shore charging with a dual bank charger.

Sjetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Quote, (.....able to charge both batteries when they are running with the selector on "both" ?).

In the switch 'Both' position #1 post, #2 post, and the 'C' output post are all paralleled.
If the dual battery switch is wired correctly then 'Both' banks will get charged while the engine is running.
There is only one correct way to wire a conventional dual battery Perko switch.
Nothing battery-direct (the only exception would be the bilge pump/float switch if you moor the boat, which is rare).
Battery #1 to switch position #1. Battery #2 to switch position #2.
Starter feed, stators feed, helm buss, and all other electrical accessories to the 'C' output of the switch.
All grounds, to engine block, both batteries, etc., are common.

'Both' or 'All' selection when running.
Select one bank only, whether #1 or #2, when at rest, engines off, and using electrical accessories.
Select 'Off' when placed on the trailer, in the slip, or when AC shore charging with a dual bank charger.
Thanks, much appreciated!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, what David said. Actually, that is a much more technical answer than I would ever provide.

I had a similar setup in my old Yamaha (an 06 sx230ho). As I recall, the electrical system doesn't produce enough electricity to charge two batteries efficiently simultaneously. I was told by several people including my installer to alternate the use of the batteries (e.g. Battery 1 on the 1st and 3rd weekend of a month and battery 2 on the 2nd and 4th weekends) unless or until I installed a dual bank charger maintainer.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cannot go wrong with a dual battery charger setup to keep things topped off.
(Just saying)

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No problem.
I would suggest this XPS 2 bank 20 amp.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161332883624
Charges, maintains, and can deal with the batteries if in parallel. Good amps to if you ever go with AGM.
For a direct sale it would be $90 + $15 for shipping.
Let me know if I can help more.
thanks!
Jason

Sjetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No problem.
I would suggest this XPS 2 bank 20 amp.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161332883624
Charges, maintains, and can deal with the batteries if in parallel. Good amps to if you ever go with AGM.
For a direct sale it would be $90 + $15 for shipping.
Let me know if I can help more.
thanks!
Jason
Will do.......thanks

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Probably a silly question but... If you switch the battery to "off" will the stereo loose all of its settings? How do you avoid this?

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get a stereo that has a memory or button battery in it to keep that info intact. I believe marine radios may have this built in since power can get cut frequently.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Probably a silly question but... If you switch the battery to "off" will the stereo loose all of its settings? How do you avoid this?
With some radios where it impacts the clock and radio stations only and radio is rarely used it doesn't much matter. On other radios it impacts equalization and a host of other critical settings and those are important to not have to re-set every day. So if you want a complete safety shut-off with zero chance of a parasitic or memory drain, but you want to also maintain memory functions weekend to weekend, you can do this. Run a small 15 amp type fused bypass switch. Keep the memory engaged short term and shut it down over winter storage.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@davidanalog
I forgot you were over here, too. :)