• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

2001 Challenger 5699 - what size battery?

wvanderclock

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Other
Can someone please tell me what size battery is supposed to be installed in a 2001 Challenger 5699? I tried to fit a group 24 marine battery in but there is no way to get it in. I bought the boat without a battery so I don't have any idea of what size is supposed to be in there. I have spent days searching the Internet to find the recommended size without finding it.
If a group 24 is the answer, then tell me how I'm supposed to get it in place. Remember, this is a 15 foot boat with 2 Rotax engines. There isn't much space to maneuver a battery.
Thanks for any help you can provide!

5699 is not a model number, so I am unsure what you are referring to. In 2001, the Speedster, Challenger 1800 and Challenger 2000 all came with the single Mercury SportJet. Just remind yourself, that these are PWC engines in your SeaDoo, so it takes literally nothing to spin them over.

Measure the space and buy the biggest 12V marine rated (sealed) battery you can buy within those dimensions. The SeaDoo PWC those engines came out of used a tiny battery. That being said, you will be running other things from it, like lighting, bilge, radio etc.

Is there a tray or battery box? if so, measure and hit up the local fleet store or warehouse club site and view the measurements. 12v is 12v for the most part.

Good luck

Thanks for responding!
The 5699 is what Sea Doo uses to distinguish this boat from the Challenger 18 and Challenger 20. It was only made for 2 years (2000 and 2001). It has twin 717 motors but is only 15 feet long.

I agree that biggest battery that will fit would be best. The tray is measurable but the issue is getting the battery into the tray. The group 24 battery fits the tray but I can't figure out how to get past the fiberglass lip at the top of the opening. I can't believe that Sea Doo expected owners to disassemble the exhaust system on the port engine in order to replace the battery. The other issue is the type of battery post and where they are. I'm hoping that someone with the same boat can weigh in and give me some incite.
Thanks again!

Thanks for responding!
The 5699 is what Sea Doo uses to distinguish this boat from the Challenger 18 and Challenger 20. It was only made for 2 years (2000 and 2001). It has twin 717 motors but is only 15 feet long.

I agree that biggest battery that will fit would be best. The tray is measurable but the issue is getting the battery into the tray. The group 24 battery fits the tray but I can't figure out how to get past the fiberglass lip at the top of the opening. I can't believe that Sea Doo expected owners to disassemble the exhaust system on the port engine in order to replace the battery. The other issue is the type of battery post and where they are. I'm hoping that someone with the same boat can weigh in and give me some incite.
Thanks again!
Gotcha, that makes perfect sense. As the Challenger X20 I had of the same vintage had the Merc 240 efi. It was tough to get the battery in, but way more room with the one engine.

It would not surprise me if you did have to do some disassembly to get it in there. But that would suck for sure. The owners manuals do not address this either, as I looked it up. Batteries are installed by the dealer upon initial setup as well. So a service manual may be the next step.

The SeaDoo Forum was a good source for that info. I don't usually send folks elsewhere, but it was a great resource when I was a Doo owner.

Back