• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 Engine Light On but no code

LimeMiner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hello,

New boater here so this may be a simple/obvious issue, apologies in advance.

Bought a used '06 sr210, 240 hrs each engine. Engine light did not come on during the hour long test ride. First time out on the water the starboard engine light came on after about 25 minutes of 30mph cruising and the no wake mode would not work for this engine. Ordered the YDS, downloaded software, hooked up to starboard engine in the driveway and do not see a code associated with the engine light... last code detected was at 169hrs, so I know I have the YDS hooked up correctly & it is reading correctly. Second time on the water both engine lights came on after about 5 minutes of cruising to the cove.. both came on again when returning to the boat ramp at the end of the day. Get the boat home, hook up the YDS in the driveway and again... NOTHING.. but now the total engine hours show 243 on each engine (showing the YDS is hooked up & reading correctly). Third time on the water neither engine light came on while cruising to the cove.. but when returning to the ramp at the end of the day, the starboard engine light came one. We had the laptop with us on the water this time.. stopped the boat, hooked up the YDS, and before we could read the code the light went off. Could not get it to come back on before we made it back to the ramp.

Any thoughts? Bad sensor? Temp issues? Battery Voltage?

Help is appreciated!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just to confirm only the engine "dummy" light of the three was on ? the oil and temp lights were not lit,
was lit solid or blinking ?

never have heard of the YDS jumping engine hours, that is REALLY weird,

LimeMiner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
correct, just the dummy light was on every time. When you shut the engines off and turn them back on the "dummy" light is back off. It does not turn on until planed out for a few minutes.

Should the YDS not read actual engine hours? The change in engine hours on the YDS was after taking the boat out on the water for a day.. not back to back readings the same day/time. different days and few hours of usage between the readings, so the change in hours made sense to me.

LimeMiner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
sorry.. I dont think I originally understood the confusion about the jumping.

My YDS software shows all of the historical codes encountered on each engine. The last time a code was thrown was at 169 engine hours, and the total hours now show 243.

Does that make more sense?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Should the YDS not read actual engine hours? The change in engine hours on the YDS was after taking the boat out on the water for a day.. not back to back readings the same day/time. different days and few hours of usage between the readings, so the change in hours made sense to me.
my mistake, I saw the 169 hours and thought it had jumped from there,

I looked in the manual and it looks like a steady light indicators either a sensor malfunction or short circuit,

battery voltage has been an issue we've seen affect the no wake mode working correctly,

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No wake switches are a bit notorious for intermittent signals. I believe the fault has to exist for a certain amount of time to actually log in YDS. Since you have yds on the boat now, and it seems to be happening frequently, You could keep it Hooked up on the more frequent starboard in monitor mode and see if it shows up.