• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 Kawasaki STX-16F Jetski - overheating issue

VMarie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Kawasaki
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
Other
Hi All,

I've recently bought a second hand jetkski (first time owner!) - 2006 Kawasaki STX-16F. The family I bought it from said it hadn't been used/started in a few years.

First time I put it in the water, it overheated after about 20-25 minutes (used mostly at full capacity). It then overheated intermittently after that (after allowing some time to cool). Revs also ran high - going at about 10kms/hr without touching the throttle.

Im new to the boating scene and fairly inexperienced. A few hours in, I accidentally ran onto a mud bank. I killed the engine straight away, but was in very shallow water. Managed to get the jetski into deeper water, but upon re-starting the engine, there was smoke coming out of the motor and pisser. It also overheated straight away, but not for long (assume once mud was flushed out). The smoke also subsided shortly after. I took it back slowly with no further issues.

I then took it to a jetski mechanic and after a quick once-over and undoing a pipe that leaked sand, he told me the water pipes need to be cleared. I also told him about the overheating issue prior to running onto the bank, as well as the high revs. Next day, he told me that all the pipes were cleaned and the jetski was running perfectly. However, when he went to put the revs back to normal the ski overheated on idle. He suggested the only possible cause for this is a crack in the cylinder head, explaining that the water running through on idle is being evaporated by the engine and therefore not cooling. But by running on higher revs, it allows more water through. Quoted to repair in excess of $4000.

I took the jetski out the day he gave it back and it didn't overheat once. Used at moderate to high capacity for about 3 hours. Revs were still high (approx 5-6kms/hr) as he said he wasn't able to reduce to idle for above reasons, but no overheating.

The jetski however, full of water when I pulled it out of the water and released the bungs. I'd guess about 15L of water came out. The front storage section (where you keep things from getting wet) was also 3/4 full of water - im lucky it didnt sink! Ive called the mechanic and he is going to look over it again, im guessing something wasnt replaced correctly after cleaning the pipes! Not sure if this would have helped with the cooling and maybe the reason for it not overheating all day? But she otherwise ran perfectly.

Anyway, my question is... Is there anything else that it could be aside from a crack in the cylinder head? Really hoping its not a $4000 repair job :(

Any help/thoughts/advice is greatly appreciated as im not familiar with this stuff at all!

Thanks! :)

Does it have carburetors or is it fuel injected?? If it has carbs then I would have them cleaned and gone through to fix your high idle issue. Either EFI or carb'd, I would check for intake leaks around the boots and gaskets before it grenades the engine. As for the overheating I would start by replacing the thermostat. It's cheap & easy enough. If it still overheats after that I would think that your cooling passages are partially blocked with sand/salt/debris. @WREKS has more experience on this topic & will probably chime in.

Read through this also.

@VMarie If you search youtube for 'Yamaha overheating', there are several videos of shops and owners cleaning the cylinder water jackets. That requires removing the cylinder head. I think Kawasakis have a similar cooling system. Unfortunately, I do not think flushing the engine helps much.

Back