• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 MFI Trailer re-build

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Folks,

I noticed today that the rear leaf spring shackles on both sides are broke, and I've decided to do a complete re-build of the suspension system since everything is rusted about the same. A couple of questions:
1) GVWR of this trailer is 6,000 lb but it's holding my 07 SX210 which is only about 3,500lb. The axles I'm looking at are the 2,200 Dexter galvanized axles. Will this be enough for what I'm towing?
2) Does anybody know the length of their axles for a similar style trailer? I'm thinking 91" but it's hard to measure without taking both tires off, and right now the boat is shoved into a corner in my garage and I can't get to one side of it.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would think that 3000 or 3500 lb axles is what you'll want. Keep in mind that the trailer weight has to be figured into the GVWR also. So a 3500 lb boat and a 600-800 lb trailer would be at the limit of a set of 2200 lb axles.

FWIW I weighed my boat and trailer 21' 07 Yamaha with a half tank of gas and all equipment a few years ago. It came in at 4650 lbs.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good call on the axles. I think the spec on original trailer weight was 1100#. Keep us updated on how it goes and what you buy. Mine is still holding up; but you never know, I could be one bad pothole away from a rebuild.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good choice on the axel weight rating.. what you have to remember is at times one exel will be supporting the entire weight of the trailer and boat... may not be for very long but it still happens... go to lite and u will pay the price!

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
It took me all weekend but I got two of the rusted bolts out and replaced one broken shackle link as a temp repair. I found everything I needed on sturdybuiltonline.com, although the 3,500lb axles were 93.5' long and the ones on the MFI trailer were 94" hub face to hub face. Not sure if 1/2" will really matter but I held off on dropping the $800 plus online on the axles, hubs, and leaf springs because I found a local dealer that will make me a custom aluminum trailer with stainless steel hardware for $2600. I'm leaning towards spending the extra cash for the peace of mind.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While doing the rebuild I would suggest pulling a ground wire down each frame tube for the lights. If you combine that with LED lights it will eliminate and future lighting hassles. Cam.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It took me all weekend but I got two of the rusted bolts out and replaced one broken shackle link as a temp repair. I found everything I needed on sturdybuiltonline.com, although the 3,500lb axles were 93.5' long and the ones on the MFI trailer were 94" hub face to hub face. Not sure if 1/2" will really matter but I held off on dropping the $800 plus online on the axles, hubs, and leaf springs because I found a local dealer that will make me a custom aluminum trailer with stainless steel hardware for $2600. I'm leaning towards spending the extra cash for the peace of mind.
Last spring I bought a aluminum I beam trailer that I love... bought it for 3k and sold my of mfi that needed a rebuild badly for 1100 bucks!..