• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 Seadoo Challenger 1800 thumping

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Alright folks,

I am new to the Seadoo jetboat world and I am hoping to get some help/advice so that I may be able to help someone on this forum in the future. Sorry for the longer post but here's the situation..

Bought the boat before the winter and it ran fine, I winterized it and all of that good stuff. A few weeks ago I take it out for the first time and everything runs great at first. 5 minutes after cruising down the river I stopped and idled around for a little to check things out. Then when I rolled on the throttle, at low speed and RPMs there is this loud thumping coming from the engine compartment. That it the best way to explain it. When I jammed on the throttle it would run perfectly fine and get on plane with no issues/noises or anything. It runs fine at WOT or when you jam on the throttle. It only does it at low speeds/RPMs/rolling on the throttle. When I opened up the engine compartment it looked like the entire engine and pump shook every time it did it. I can't pin point where it is coming from but it almost sounds like a gear or clutch slipping/skipping.

Fast forward to the next trip out and I have the same issues.

Before the third trip out I pulled the pump and inspected everything (the impeller and wear ring were replaced right before I got it along with a supercharger rebuild). Splines all looked good and nothing seemed out of sorts. So back to the water I go. Once again right off the dock I rolled on the throttle and no issues, gets on plane, cruises great. Then after its warmed up it would start to make the noise/thumping again.

Summary: The engine idles fine, and runs WOT fine. It also runs great when it's just getting warmed up. Then it starts to make a thumping/slipping noise once warmed up and only when rolling on the throttle and at low RPM ranges (I don't want to use the word knock because I'm a fairly mechanically inclined type of guy and I do not believe it's an engine knock). For reference the thumping will happen every 1-2 seconds.

Anyone else have this issue or have suggestions?