• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 Yamaha FX HO - Purchase... or not?

BDOne

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for some advice on a 2006 Yamaha Waverunner FX HO.

I have the opportunity to buy one with just over 200 hours, one owner.
I know the owner, and he cares for his boats meticulously.
When he says this ski has never been rolled over, I trust him.

But I'm wondering what kind of extra work/expense I might be getting myself into buying a 15-year-old jetski...
What are the common problems with this ski?
Are there any major part replacements looming on the horizon?

Anything specific to look for while "kicking the tires"?
It looks like we will get a chance to take it for a spin this weekend.

Does anyone care to weigh in on this?

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking for some advice on a 2006 Yamaha Waverunner FX HO.

I have the opportunity to buy one with just over 200 hours, one owner.
I know the owner, and he cares for his boats meticulously.
When he says this ski has never been rolled over, I trust him.

But I'm wondering what kind of extra work/expense I might be getting myself into buying a 15-year-old jetski...
What are the common problems with this ski?
Are there any major part replacements looming on the horizon?

Anything specific to look for while "kicking the tires"?
It looks like we will get a chance to take it for a spin this weekend.

Does anyone care to weigh in on this?
I sold my 2005 and 2006 FHXO Waverunners to another poster on this site.

If the owner takes care of his toys, 200 hours is nothing for that ski.

Take a look at the impeller and wear ring. No nicks should be visible. Check the oil (clear and appropriate level on the dipstick depending on the engine temp) and air filter (if there is oil, it means it was overfilled at some point and will restrict air flow).

Take it for a spin, if it tries to tear your arms off at full throttle acceleration the drive is good. It should also hit 55-60mph depending on the waves.

I'd also check for water intrusion after the ride. There should be almost none (unless you bury the nose in a maneuver). Look at the hull and general condition of the fiberglass and seats.

Its a great ski for cruising big lakes or even watersports - pulling skiers, tubes (or both).