• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 AR230 Sea Trial

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I'm looking at a 2008 AR230 tomorrow afternoon, sea trial on the Delaware river. Boat looks to be in excellent shape from the pictures and only 150 hours on the engines. My main question is what should I be looking for with the steering - how tight/loose should it feel? Also the throttles? What kind of RPM's should I run it at to give them a good test? I know these are somewhat subjective questions but are there any good "rules of thumb" to follow? I'm probably 80 - 90% sure I'm buying the boat but want to do my due diligence.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is subjective BUT if theres something wrong, you will know. If it's bad you'll be like "damn I need to hit the gym I can't move this thing".

It should do 10k rpm I think? Good luck on the sea trial, these are great boats.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board,
for a water test as long as it throws you back in the seat from dead stop to WOT you should be good,
try both a slow steady increase in speed and a full throttle,
sometimes if a boat has cavitation the current owner can nurse it through the problem rpm's and get to 10k rpm @ 42-50 mph

I wouldn't worry about stiff steering or throttles unless you use it to negotiate on the price, they are easy/inexpensive (relatively speaking) to change.

How did they get the hours ? hour meter on the engine or YDS read out? I wouldn't trust a engine meter at all, do they have a print out of the YDS readings? you could get a PWC Shop to read the engines with YDS

be sure to look at the link my sig. below for known issues with the boat,

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The owner has the YDS software and will hook it up tomorrow during the sea trial. This is a one of the printouts.

D6P6190424145401.csv
2.3 KB

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
looks good,
let us know how it goes,

Barracuda67

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just did a sea trial for my 2007 SX230 prior to buying 2 weeks ago. I brought a bucket of tools in case I needed to check anything, but once going out, it became pretty obvious everything was in good shape and I didn't need to tear anything apart to feel good about the purchase.

As others mentioned, engines should top out just over 10k rpm and probably be doing 47+ mph. Check speed with a GPS app. Also hold around 7k rpm, which I find is a nice comfortable cruise speed. I had owner drive first so I could check compartments and engine hatch while underway, then I took over to get a good feel for throttles and steering. A lot of it is just seeing if it feels as you are expecting.

Where on the Delaware River are you trialing it? I'm in Northern Delaware.

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the input. We’re meeting at Neshaminy State Marina.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make sure you can remove the cleanout plugs.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I advised everyone to check the compression on any mr1. My sea test went fine then it wouldn't start on my second day. Probably takes only 20 minutes to run the test and take a look at the spark plugs.

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The owner provided me with the YDS software and the compression data looks good on both engines. When I finally get time to post some pictures you'll see how clean everything looks. The engine compartment is spotless. It's obvious he took a great deal of pride in his boat. I'm ecstatic about the condition of the boat. Also, the clean out plugs pop right out so they're good. I think I'll invest in the locks although he told me they aren't needed. Is there any way to extend the plugs where the YDS cable plugs in? I've got to reach fairly far back into the access port to reach the plugs and it's a pain.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It is not a matter of "if" you will have a plug blowout but "when". You are doing the prudent thing by purchasing EZ-Locks.
Congratulations on finding a nice boat.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The owner provided me with the YDS software and the compression data looks good on both engines. When I finally get time to post some pictures you'll see how clean everything looks. The engine compartment is spotless. It's obvious he took a great deal of pride in his boat. I'm ecstatic about the condition of the boat. Also, the clean out plugs pop right out so they're good. I think I'll invest in the locks although he told me they aren't needed. Is there any way to extend the plugs where the YDS cable plugs in? I've got to reach fairly far back into the access port to reach the plugs and it's a pain.
I found I was able to grab the bundle of wires and pull them gently to gain better access. You may be able to snip a wire tie to help. You don't want your connectors hanging too low in the event of water intrusion.