• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2009 232 limited s

Daveaddy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi All,

I currently live in Australia and have been viewing a Yamaha 232 limited s, we do not have many of them here in oz so was hoping to get some advice.

Are there any common faults with the boats I should be aware of? Any particular area I should be looking at when viewing the boat? It has 130 hours, what is the life expectancy of the engines? The dealer is not offering a warranty with the boat, this concerns me quite a bit.

Any other thoughts on the boat to help with my decision would be great. We only have 1 dealer who supplies the boats in oz.

Thanks Dave

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What a great opportunity! The 232 Limited S was the top of the line from 2007 to 2009. She has two reliable high output MR1 engines and a hull shape that in my opinion handles big water better than the 2010 to 2014 240 series.

The MR1 engines are also used in Waverunners. Researching MR1 reliability before buying my 2007 SX230 I found reports of 2,000, 3,000 and even 4,000 hours with nothing more than oil and spark plug changes. I quickly decided that the engines were likely to last the lifetime of the boat.

As for points to check I would focus on the jets. You want to put the throttles in forward with the engines off so that you can get a look at the impellers from behind. You also want to crawl under and look at them from below. You likely can get your phone into the intake to take pictures of them. New impellers are around $250 each and you are likely to replace the $200 pump housing at the same time.

Next on that list is the clean out plugs for the jets. They are accessed through the hatch on the swim deck. They should be easily installed and removed. Rebuild kits for the clean out plugs are around $40 each.

Taking her out on the water I would expect to see a GPS speed of 46 mph or greater. The engines should max out at 10,200 rpm. If the speed does not reach 46 but the engines reach max RPM then jet pumps have issues or the hull is dirty. If the engines do not reach 10,200 RPM ask the dealer to change the spark plugs and try it again.

At 130 hours I would expect the seats and everything else in the boat to be in good repair.

Where is this dealer located in Australia? I would appreciate it if you would let them know about our forum. We would love to have them amongst our membership.

Where will you be boating?

Daveaddy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you for the feedback, sounds like the boat is great then? Would you be concerned about no warranty with the purchase?

We will be taking it out around a place called Moreton bay, one of the islands off the coast of Australia. Google Moreton bay if you don't know it. The dealer is located in Caloundra, Yamaha dealership.

Still undecided on whether to go ahead with an offer at this stage as there aren't many here in oz.

Dave

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the feedback, sounds like the boat is great then? Would you be concerned about no warranty with the purchase?

We will be taking it out around a place called Moreton bay, one of the islands off the coast of Australia. Google Moreton bay if you don't know it. The dealer is located in Caloundra, Yamaha dealership.

Still undecided on whether to go ahead with an offer at this stage as there aren't many here in oz.

Dave
We love the bugs from Moreton Bay!!!!

The lack of warranty would not concern me at all. Typically new Yamaha's come with a one year warranty that is extendable to 5 years. Used boats are sold without warranty unless they have an existing warranty to be transferred. I have purchased two well maintained used Yamahas and found them to be reliable, well built and inexpensive to maintain. The annual maintenance on my SX230 is a DIY oil change that uses around $80 of filters and oil. I would not spend money on a warranty.

Smassey22180

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought an 09 SX230. I had a bad depth finder ($200) and shifter cable ($50). Other than that the boat is great. My trailer is a mess though. Rotten bunks, cracked wench post, air in the brake fluid. So don't forget to check out the trailer.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I forgot about that. The factory depth gauges are terrible. I replaced mine with a voltage gauge and upgraded to a Raymarine Dragonfly for the chart plotting capability.

Daveaddy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like they are easy to maintain

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Daveaddy @Smassey22180 glad to have you both on board, update your profiles with your location and it will automatically add you to the member map.

Daveaddy, I would take it to a Yamaha jet ski shop that has a YDS diagnostic tool to get the hours read and check for any codes on the engines