• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2011 vs 2017 (new) AR240? vs 2017 242 LTD S

Which shiny toy?

• The blue one! (2017 AR240)

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • The shiniest (2017 242 S)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • The closest (2011 AR240)

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to say money aside, which would you go for?
But money is indeed how the world goes round. I can afford this, but is it worth the extra, close to 60% more, a month. (and all that extra interest) to have a new boat vs one with 160 hours?

So base Assumptions:
1.) that the current Yamaha financing deal applies to new 2017 AR240's/242 Ltd S.
2.) there is not some stupid 5k prep fee hidden from these listings.

Dealer1 with a new AR240 for 51k. (4.99%@15y,0down: 403.04 a month ) (dealer is 8 hours from me)
Pro: I can get the blue I prefer as he has several right now.

Dealer2 with a new 2017 242 Ltd S for 56k. (4.99%@15y,0down: 442.55 a month.) (dealer2 is 8 hours the other direction of dealer 1).
Pro: It's a limited with all the bells you get for a limited.
Pro: connext and better stereo than 1.
Cons: no idea on color.

Net interest difference between the two is an additional 2k over the life of the loan.

Option3. 2011 AR240 listed for 31k (4.75%@10y, 15%down: 276.27 a month.)
Pro: money for toys / seadek.
Cons: used, 160 hours, black. 7 years old.

I think I know what @seanmclean would say.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
pretty sure that the Connext system is the same in both 2017 models (AR240 vs Limited S) ? The Limited SEs may be different ? They may even be the same stereo except for the two additional rear platform speakers on the Limited S. Good Luck . There is no wrong answer.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you're spending new boat money, the Limited is worth the $5K in my biased opinion.

I'd go look at that local one before making a decision. You've been on a new one to compare. Also, if you go new and find a local 17, start badgering local dealers. If I'm towing 8 hours, its going to end with a trip to bimini.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did the same thinking a few years back and went with the AR240. For the extra money I didn't think it was worth it. All the LS stuff I could add later if I decided I wanted it.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok, just looking at it from a cash flow perspective: If you have to put 15% down (approx $4,500) it will take you 2.5 yrs to break even on option 1 and 3 years on option 2. As for the difference between option 1 and option 2, IMO the nicer the model, the more it will hold its value long term.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Shuck Water Correct, the used boat financing is 15% down on the 2011.
It took me a minute to understand the cashflow analogy. I.e. at that point in time I'll have the same amount into the boats. (cash down plus payments.)

@subysti i.e. you bought the new ar240 at that time?

@WildCatFan54 Agreed, That's what makes it so dang hard. As to conext I meant to put that as an item for option 1 as well. Only the stereo is better than option 1.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless your looking at a limited S Eserries boat I would go AR if I went new I explored both options as well the only thing I really wanted in the limited vs AR was the shower option but I could add that later for far less then the price difference. The stero on all three options suck and if it’s important to you will likely require an upgrade any ways so again no need to spend extra on the limited for the stereo. I explored all options when buying new and had a great offer on a limited s about 3000k difference from the AR I bought but still couldn’t justify it. I had an offer for 5k more to buy a limited s eserries over the AR if I could go back now I might due it just for the extra Bimini coverage and electronic throttles.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I bought new. Don't forget with new you get a warranty and can usually get a lot of extras including extended warranties in the deal as they won't budge on price.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We love our 17' AR240. The Limited S is nice but for the extra money doesn't have what I'd want. The 240 indeed has the same connext screen as the limited. Nicer speakers in the limited but still borderline acceptable. Shower... yeah I still want that. Nicer tower on the limited too. But the 240 was hands down my winner because of the color

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I actually had the same delimma last year. I was looking at selling my 2011 242LS and by that time the new LS were significantly more than when I bought mine back in 2012. I love all the bells and whistles of the 242 LS and if you don't mind dishing out an extra 40 or so a month I say go for it.

For me I opted to get a 2017 AR for a few reasons.... color was a big one, love it in Red, the extra savings I threw into my stereo (much needed), custom shower, tower lights, etc....I'm happy with what I have and got the deal that worked for me, had there been a 242 in a color I wanted that was available I might have opted for it but the additional upgrades....tower lights, docking lights, shower, transoms speaker and cushions are the main ones I can think of are all easily added to any AR240 if that makes a diff. Here's a couple pics of my tower lights (wired into the connext screen) and high pressure 6 gallon shower which is my favorite mod.

Since the AR is the color you want I say get that and spend some coin on upgrades you want/need...I've seen some people yank out the shower and swap it for a inflatable hose for toys (shower is weak imho) The diff in the newer models is a no brainer, major upgrade and you'll be happy in the end.

Good luck!

20180407_143150.jpg 20180406_200049.jpg

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had similar situation in 2015. Loved the 2015 LS but I knew I'd want to make $10K in upgrades right off the bat, so opted for a clean, 30 hour 2010 L/S, and immediately installed Seadek, Fusion/Polk MM stereo, bow/cockpit covers, black bimini top, Cobra fins, pins, and fangs, LED lights, etc. I just got done adding refrigerator, trim tabs, and finishing up a new, upgraded shower system. Since I paid for this boat in full, and plan to keep for a long time, I don't mind upgrading everything as I feel the need. Either way, you wont be disappointed. All are great choices.