• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2012 242 Limited S - Cranks, Won't Start

SilverBallzzz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi,

Just put two new long blocks in a 2012 Yamaha 242 Limited S with 610 hours. Got about 10 hours on the new engines and running great. Cleaned the tank and never had a fuel issue, but starboard engine fuel pump failed and replaced with new Yamaha assembly. Port engine starts and runs perfectly. Starboard engine cranks and will not run. Have already verified engine shutdown switches, throttle neutral switches, ignition switches, and gauges are all good.

Since the engine cranks but won't run, checked the following:

* fuel in rails at pressure - good
* via diagnostic software interface, can open each injector.
* removed and checked to ensure each injector clear - all good. Even swapped to running motor - no blockages
* checked cam position sensor... not certain, but seems to not be the issue
* No spark, no way.
* swapped ECM's to ensure they are working.
* electrical harness good, all fuses good, connections seem good, etc

These engines can run on only TWO cylinders, and I'm confident the ECM is disabling fuel and spark just don't understand why. Plugs are dry, so the injectors won't open when trying to start - but we can open each independently via diagnostics.

Engine behaves as though some sensor is disabling fuel and ignition - but can crank the engine and get fuel pumps running as normal. Diagnostic software pulls no codes but does display temp sensors and can control each injector separately - all good.

I'm clueless. Definitely some ECM signal disabling operation. Stator checks good and there's no Knock sensor, but I'm pretty sure that would NOT disable the ECM anyway. Cam position sensor is an unknown. I did remove the sensor from the running port engine and that did not stop it from running (but it was still in circuit and I couldn't get the connector free to remove it from the ckt to double check) So I can't definitively say the cam position sensor is not faulty on the starboard side.

What other sensors or conditions could cause these engines not to run? I'm out of ideas and need some experienced guidance. Anyone have some deep experience troubleshooting these engines and can recommend my next course of action? I've got a good mechanic that did the engine swap - to my satisfaction. We replaced many many parts... but not all obviously. We are both experienced on 'ski's and boats but I'm not a professional. But my mechanic is and we are both stumped at the moment.

We suspect a possible ground or sensor issue but don't have the model specific experience to identify the culprit - any ideas?! HELP!!

Thanks so much - appreciate any ideas!!!

Best Regards,
Mike