• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2012 AR240 Interior Issues

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Let me start off by setting the stage here...We keep our boat in the garage for about 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months the boat is outside with a cover on it, unless we are using it of course. We always use boat bling products on the interior and keep them well conditioned. We also always have our large bimini up to protect us but also help protect the interior a little. We have very strict rules on the boat with bringing food onboard to minimize any stains and abuse to the interior. I think what I am getting at is we are doing everything we can to keep this boat looking perfect.

My issue is we are on year 4 of using the boat and am starting to see seams separating where the black piping is pulling away from the white. We are also seeing corners of seats getting small tears. Now I understand that using the boat as much as we do that there will be issues but man I am really getting ticked about the seats coming a part. I just replaced two seats as they were torn...but I feel like after a couple years I am either going to have to recover them or replace them one by one. Anyone else seeing seams pulling a part?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
pictures

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha vinyl is not the best but that shouldn't be happening. My 2012 SX190 had non of those issues. I am religious about soaking everything in 303 protectant though.
One thing I would avoid is any silicon based "conditioners" such as Armor All - those will ruin vinyl and rubber pretty fast, all looks great after application but those extract something from rubber and plastics causing cracking long term.

--

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha vinyl is not the best but that shouldn't be happening. My 2012 SX190 had non of those issues. I am religious about soaking everything in 303 protectant though.
One thing I would avoid is any silicon based "conditioners" such as Armor All - those will ruin vinyl and rubber pretty fast, all looks great after application but those extract something from rubber and plastics causing cracking long term.

--
Additionally, any cleaning products with bleach can adversely affect the threads/seams even if washed with water after. (Not saying this is the case here. . .just posting for reference)

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, I second the armor-all protectant being terrible. I haven't done any of those cleaners. Boat Bling products only...Just real strange, the fabric itself seems to be good condition its just in the seams. When I go back to the lake in a couple days I will try and take a couple pictures.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys I thought I would show one seam that is slowly pulling away...thoughts?20170629_081206.jpg

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
is someone stepping on the lighter part of the seat or stretching it unnecessarily?

if the weight is distributed evenly say sitting on the cusion, shouldn't stretch like that....though it could be just getting old.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Same thing is happening in a few spots on my 2013 AR210 and only in the spots with that piping is. Frustrating to say the least. I'm sure it's just down to cheaper materials pulling away from those spots being sat/stepped on. Regardless it's not wear that I see on other brand boats with the same piping with the same/similar usage and age.

I was going to look at what a local shop could do to prevent it from getting worse but haven't gotten around to doing that yet. Does anyone know if anything can be done short of re-doing the whole cushion?