• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2012 Challenger 210 Single Engine

Brooksy400

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A Challenger 210 has come up for sale locally but I am wondering if the single engine on this size of boat will be enough as some of our boating is done on the great lakes with some good sized waves. It has warranty on it until 2018 and is in great shape, but the single engine has me a little concerned. Any advice?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I assume it's a 255?

My uneducated opinion is it won't be enough. My 180 Challenger had the 215hp engine, and it wasn't enough. Fun for 1 or 2 people, but more than 4 and it was embarassing. Dirk has 430hp on his 2012 210SE, and that thing is perfect.

Brooksy400

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks veedubtek. Its either 255 or 260. Either way, I am thinking the same thing you are that it'll be fine with one or 2 people, but beyond that its not enough. And I don't see anyone else offering a single on a 21 footer anymore. Oh well, keep looking.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm thinking that may need a test drive or an opinion from an owner.

As said above, the 18ft had the 215, our older X-20 came in 240 and 250hp, and you say this 21ft is 255 or 260hp. You may be surprised.

Pure length should not be the comparison as weight and shape have a lot to do with it. That being said, the performance we see with our 20' X-20 and 240hp engine is great. Well over 50mph on GPS, and has no issues cruising with a mixture of 8 people on board. We pull a pair of tubes with a mix of 4-5 kids on the tubes.

If you get the chance to drive it, let us know how it went. Also find yourself a service center. Be sure what was once a SeaDoo boat dealer still works on them. I think most are.

Good luck!

SimiEd

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
A single engine @ 255 hp does seem like a stretch for a 21' boat. I guess it all depends on how you want to use your boat. I'm a newbie here but it seems like most folks are preoccupied with speed. I see Veetubtek's remarks about his experience with a 215 hp Challenger 180. I have a 2010 215 hp Challenger 180 and this boat picks me up out of the water on a single ski with 3 adults on the boat without a problem......... and I'm 62 years young!

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sometimes there are a lot of variables at play, especially with used boats. Elevation, pump condition, etc could easily determine whether two "identical" boats meet the needs of two different owners. Best way to know for certain is to bring a few friends and go for a ride. Good luck with the search @Brooksy400