• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2012 sx210 overheat warning

Jvaboats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2012 sx 210 and my port engine is showing an overheat light when I run high rpms for about 2 t 5 minutes. At idle it is just fine. Here is what I have checked and done so far, changed oil, changed spark plugs, changed temp sensor on block, checked intake screen, checked impellers, checked clean outs, and checked the water flow indicators. All seem good. It's got good water coming out the exhaust and thermostat outlet and the pee hole. This is my first yamaha and I'm usually good and figuring out problem and fixing them but I'm stumped on this one. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. I want to try and have her ready for memorial day.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jvaboats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update. I checked my air filter and it has oil on it. Will that cause it to throw the overheat light? Also I took off the exhaust manifold and it is clean for being a salt water engine.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @Jvaboats. Glad that you joined, hopefully you'll find the answer to help fix your issue.

I'm not sure where you're located and where you use the boat. Salt water vs fresh water. Also, how long have you owned the boat? How long has this issue been going on? Did it start before or after any work/maintenance?

Sounds like you've checked most of the usual suspects.

Other things to consider would be:
1. Check the thermostat and the sacrificial anode just to see what they show. (Any sand or corrosion)
2. Check the engine with YDS (Yamaha Diagnostic Software). That would show you what temps it's actually reading, and which sensor it is.

Hope you figure it out soon

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board,
Had you ever looked at the air filter before to know if it was clean before this issue?
usually oil on the air filter means it was over filled, did you put back in the amount of oil you took out ? did you check the oil level on the water?

I might suggest either the YDS or checking with a infrared thermometer on the water to get a better idea where it might be getting hot,

Do you have the MR-1 or 1.8L engines ?

Jvaboats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the tips and I figured it out after taking the exhaust manifold off. It was packed full of salt. I dug it out for a couple of hours and poured vinegar in it and let it sit overnight and tested it yesterday afternoon and it ran perfect. After the weekend I'm probably going to do the same for the other engine. I'm sure it's just the same.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you take some pictures and tell us your process
It would be a good addition for our FAQ

Oriol

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an AR 210 2014 Yamaha and have the same issue in both engines, every time go 5000 RPM any engine show Overheating... they are 60 hours engines, always flushed with Salt Away every time I use my boat... Do you think is salt inside the motor ???...If it is the problem, what the hell is SALT AWAY....???

Thank you for any help please...

Last edited:

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome @Jvaboats. Glad that you joined, hopefully you'll find the answer to help fix your issue.

I'm not sure where you're located and where you use the boat. Salt water vs fresh water. Also, how long have you owned the boat? How long has this issue been going on? Did it start before or after any work/maintenance?

Sounds like you've checked most of the usual suspects.

Other things to consider would be:
1. Check the thermostat and the sacrificial anode just to see what they show. (Any sand or corrosion)
2. Check the engine with YDS (Yamaha Diagnostic Software). That would show you what temps it's actually reading, and which sensor it is.

Hope you figure it out soon
I wonder if you can explain or illustrate to me where the thermostats are located on a 2010 yamaha sx210 jet boat. I have tried everything but changing them to resolve the issue with my daughter's boat. Thank You
Tom

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if you can explain or illustrate to me where the thermostats are located on a 2010 yamaha sx210 jet boat. I have tried everything but changing them to resolve the issue with my daughter's boat. Thank You
Tom
The thermostats (part #29) are located inside a housing on the starboard side of the oil cooler. This is the best pic that i could find on my phone. Off the top of my head, you can follow the black hose (part #26) that comes off the top of the valve cover back towards the side of the oil cooler. If memory serves me correct, that leads directly to the thermostat housing.

Hope that helps.

1A34AFD4-0823-4A82-BAB7-3E01FCDCF62C.png
2979D526-83AA-401A-AF83-686BF973B8B4.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The thermostats (part #29) are located inside a housing on the starboard side of the oil cooler. This is the best pic that i could find on my phone. Off the top of my head, you can follow the black hose (part #26) that comes off the top of the valve cover back towards the side of the oil cooler. If memory serves me correct, that leads directly to the thermostat housing.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 84022
View attachment 84023
Thank You so much! I checked the chart and photo you provided and found the housing which contains the thermostat. Didn't even know they were there. I took both of them out and the ran the boat for an hour with no problem.
Thank You
Tom

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone have any idea why a check engine light would be on one engine on a yamaha sx210. I don't think it's overheating because the thermostats are out and the light comes on immediately. Thank You, Tom

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone have any idea why a check engine light would be on one engine on a yamaha sx210. I don't think it's overheating because the thermostats are out and the light comes on immediately. Thank You, Tom
The check engine light or the temp light?

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It was the temperature light. I found out that in this particular case that, even though I changed the heat sensor, the computer had to be reset to shut the light off. $65.00 for five minutes on the computer to reset!!

JoseCuervo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was the temperature light. I found out that in this particular case that, even though I changed the heat sensor, the computer had to be reset to shut the light off. $65.00 for five minutes on the computer to reset!!
you had to take it to a Yamaha shop to reset the computer ? or how to reset the computer ?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JoseCuervo It should reset itself. If it does not, try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
you had to take it to a Yamaha shop to reset the computer ? or how to reset the computer ?
Yes, I had to take it to a shop. Tried disconnecting batteries but to no avail. It had to be reset by the computer at the shop. Good Luck