• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 Yamaha 242 Limited Low Oil Warning

JLep43

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was on the lake yesterday with my 2013 242 and the low oil pressure warning alarm came on about 5800 RPM on the port side engine. I checked the level and it was between 1/4 and 1/2 quart low. I topped it off started the motor and it ran for about 15 minutes before doing the same thing. I was able to drive back to the dock as long as the motor was 3500 RPM or so there was no issue, if I tried to get the RPM up it would run for 5 minutes or so and do the same thing. This morning I cut the oil filter open and was happy to see there is no metal in the filter. The boat has less then 200 hours on it. My thought is a faulty oil pressure sensor but wonder why it would only be at higher RPM. The sensor doesn't know what the engine RPM is it only reads pressure.

Any other ideas?

Robert Case

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just had the exact same problem with my SX 190

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure if they changed anything on the newer ECUs, but on the MR1 ECU, the oil pressure alarm wouldn't kick off until it reached 5k RPMs. It designed to ensure high oil pressure at high RPMs

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@cybuch Are you saying you may have low oil pressure under 5000rpm but it won't throw an alarm?

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@buckbuck thats exactly what I am saying.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm betting, like you it's a failing oil pressure switch...........It read pressure it can have a dead band area that looses contact.......... its a switch.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@cybuch This explains why the YDS connected to my boat (all MR-1) show the oil pressure switch changes position at idle but returns to normal when running at higher rpm. Yet, I never see an alarm come in.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@buckbuck correct. And the oil pressure switch comes on at ~23 psi, I believe.