• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 - 212X what is your top speed?

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just purchased a new 2014. I really thought it would be a little faster. I asked my dealer about breaking in the engines. I was told to just not run it at the same speed all day, some slow, some fast, etc. I've had it out on the lake 5 days and I have followed his instructions and I feel like I'm broken in pretty good. The first day had it out with just my wife and I, top speed was around 45 mph (about 8000 rpm). After the first weekend, I ordered a set of thrust vectors and put them on. The first time out with the thrust vectors installed, I'm only hitting about 38-40 at he the same rpm. This was all done in New Mexico on Conchas lake, elevation 4,300 ft.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same issues.

I'd like to know what is your top speed, with one or two on board.
Thrust vectors, cobras or other modifications.
Approximate altitude.

If there is another post on this I apologize!

Robert

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Robert,

Welcome @RForester . The elevation will lower your top end significantly with these boats. At 4k MSLK I would say 40 mph is pretty normal. Any other differences between the two runs other than TVs? TVs should not matter.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
With just 2 on board, bimini closed, no boards in the racks - 56 mph.
But I'm at 450' elevation.

You're 4300' elevation is most likely killing your performance.

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I can't wait to drive 287 to east texas and rev it up. I thought that elevation might play a part with the overall speed. Another question might be what gas everyone uses, I used regular, that what the dealer told me to use, but my first outing was using gas that was in the boat when I bought it. I just topped it off with regular. There might have had super in it. What do you guys use?

How much tension on the TV's springs?

Thanks!

surfer212

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I'm with Octavio.... 56 mph tops all three Summers we have had the boat. But conditions need to be right, light load, 1/2 tank of gas or less, helps if you have the bow cover on and the windshield closed. We use regular grade Valvtect marine fuel, no methanol, runs great every time.

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Haven't actually tested mine as I always have the Bimini out, but I have no problem hitting 45mph, and have to cut back on throttle to stay within the rating of it. Regular fuel, 1800ft

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We are only at 100 feet but according to GPS went 57mph. The boat was completely stock with the Bimini on.

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
i am at about 1200' elevation. I have seen 54 mph gps

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check your speed with gps versus speedo and then report back

jollyroger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What elevation is the lake you normally boat? At a certain elevation you can consider re-pitching impellers; not sure what the number is. If 4,300 feet is the lowest elevation you boat probably should re-pitch. Ask you dealer or call ImPros. Here in Colorado I definitely had to re pitch impellers.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
At 4500 ft elevation my 2012 would run 51 mph with Riva throttle body spacers and high elevation impellers turning 7600 rpm w/ two people on board and a full tank of fuel and no boards and bimini up.

How are you turning 8000 rpm? If your really turning that rpm stock at that elevation you cavitating like crazy.