• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 242 LS engine overheat/ting-ing noise

MattEisener

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Last run of the year to run some Stabil through it, cruising along at 30mph when port engine RPMs slowed right down and Engine overheat code flashed on the screen. Pulled it out of the water and it is making an obvious ting-ing noise. Tried starboard and sounds normal. Any ideas what I could be into? TIA

Is the sound from the engine are or the pump? I’d check the jet pump area for any debris.

The engine slowing down is limp mode........overheat alarm = slow down the metal tinging out of water could be impeller making a little contact with pump housing. Like haknslash check for debris in impeller and check the pump pick up screen in the impeller housing for blockage..........is screen is clear you next step is to test the temp censor( they seem to cause many false heat alarms.

I carry a infra red thermo gauge just for such happenings. Its always nice to know if its an actual over heat or censor fault. Last I installed Temp gauges last spring and it nice to see an actual temp rise if pump is clogged long before alarm sounds and limp kicks in. A quick screen clean and on my way with no codes.

Also check your impeller to wear ring gap.

Back