• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2014 242 LS used or 2015 212X - good deal(s) or not?

sho'nuff

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Hi All - long time lurker, first time poster here.

I am in the market for a new/used Yamaha jet boat. Had my eyes on a new 212SS but the last one on my dealers lot sold last weekend. They are not getting any more this year, and no dealers within 400 miles have any new or recently used ones either.

That said I have my eye on a used 2014 242 LS. Has 30 hours on it, looks good from the pics. Dealer wants $46,900 but said they would be willing to negotiate. Seeing as how the boat was $60+ new this seems like a pretty good deal. But I am cautious because the dealer in question is not a Yamaha dealer (they took the boat in trade on a new Wakeboard boat), and they have a mixed reputation from what I can tell online. Anyway, I thought I would ping the forum to see what you all thought of the deal before I make the hour drive down to check out the boat.

Also - as nice as the 242 LS is I am not sure I want a 24' boat. I think it may just be too big, and I really liked how the 212SS drove when I tested it last week. As a result, I am also considering a new/used 212X.
A dealer a few hours from me is selling new 212x's for $46,900 out the door, which ironically is the same price as the used 242 LS noted above. The advantage of the new boat is well, that its new. It also qualifies for the current Yamaha financing and five year warranty promotions. The financing is not such a big deal to me (I could pay cash), but I value the warranty pretty highly and I'm not sure whether the 242LS noted above has it or not. Will have to see.

So the question is, what do I do? Should I jump on the 242 LS? Pick up the new 212X? Wait and buy a 2016SS next year? Or wait and see if I can pick up a used SS nearer to me over the winter? I would honestly love to have a boat for the rest of the season, but I am also aware that would mean I would have to winterize and store it, which ain't free where I am.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

If it were me I'd wait since the 2016 should be announced this month or shortly after. Then form a decision on which boat suits your needs best.

During the past spring local Yamaha dealers were selling brand new 2014 242 LS for ~$45k. You might be able to find similar deals next spring for 2015, that is if you don't want the 2016. ~$47k for brand new 2015 212x with 5 year warranty out the door sounds like a decent deal too. I have not seen new 212x go on sale with local dealers.

Patience, and wait for a pristine used 212 to pop up over the next 8 months. Be prepared to strike when the deal pops up, and be prepared to travel to get it, or ship it. These boats are bullet proof - my 2008 SX230 had a warranty transfer to me when I bought it from a guy on the old forum, and all I used it for was to replace the light pole. Peace of mind is great, but a pristine used 212 for much less than a new anything, is even better. I could buy any boat new for cash, but still buy used. Let someone else eat the depreciation. Just my thoughts and how I roll. When I was shopping after deciding to upgrade from my LS, I was going for either a 230 or 212, whichever sweet deal popped up first. I picked up an 08 SX230 which was purchased as a dealer leftover in 2011, for 23,900 and the warranty ran out just a few months ago. 23,900! This beats 46K any day of the week, and the boat had 26 hours on it and is still perfect. Go used! Good luck, keep asking questions!

OC, that230 is nicer than the current 212s

Back