• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 Scarab won’t start/radio won’t turn on

Southernboater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
[USERGROUP=9]@HELP[/USERGROUP] we last used the boat in July. Since then I’ve cranked it a few times with no issues. I tried to start it yesterday, but the battery was dead. I took it out and charged the battery overnight.

When I turn the key on, all accessories will function however the radio will not turn on. It doesn’t seem to be getting any power.

The engine makes that humming sound like it’s got power, but when I turn the key it won’t even turn over. I’ve check the fuses and they seem to be fine, the safety lanyard is in place. I’ve tried moving the throttle to see if the neutral position has shifted, but no luck at all.

I took the battery and tried it in my neighbors boat and it cranked right up so it’s not the battery.

The courtesy lights, instrument panel, Nav lights, bilge pump, 12v accessory plug and engine fan all work. The head unit doesn’t turn on, if the key is turned to the right or left.

Last edited:
Look for a fuse for the starter. Make sure you didn’t forget a wire. It’s easy and common that a wire get lost when people swap batteries.

Look for a fuse for the starter. Make sure you didn’t forget a wire. It’s easy and common that a wire get lost when people swap batteries.

@Murf'n'surf All fuses seem good. There are two black 30a relays that I can’t tell if they’re bad. One is labeled 12v accessory and 1 is power relay

batterys not holding the charge. No amps to give on the big draws.

@justason I tried the battery in my neighbors boat which is a much bigger boat and it started right up. It’s not the battery
This would be correct assuming that his boat only has one starting battery and you swapped out the right one.

This would be correct assuming that his boat only has one starting battery and you swapped out the right one.
@Murf'n'surf yes his boat only has one battery. Disconnected his battery and connected mine.

The battery was purchased in April of 2018.

@Southernboater so, your story sounds extremely similar to something I read a while back. In fact, I do large bodies of water sometimes and want to have backup solutions for things like fuses... so after reading this one, I actually purchased two of these relays and keep them as backups in my boat. Based on what you're describing, I suspect your relay is the problem. Here is the link to the post: https://jetboaters.net/threads/rotax-owners-keep-this-handy.13017/

Here is a video on how to test relays...

Good luck! I'm about to winterize my boat since WINTER IS COMING up here... *sniff*

@Southernboater so, your story sounds extremely similar to something I read a while back. In fact, I do large bodies of water sometimes and want to have backup solutions for things like fuses... so after reading this one, I actually purchased two of these relays and keep them as backups in my boat. Based on what you're describing, I suspect your relay is the problem. Here is the link to the post: https://jetboaters.net/threads/rotax-owners-keep-this-handy.13017/

Here is a video on how to test relays...

Good luck! I'm about to winterize my boat since WINTER IS COMING up here... *sniff*
@Luc Lafreniere this is awesome! The links in that are for 20a relays, but mine are both 30a. Did you happen to find any of those?

I just went to my local BRP dealer and they were able to order them in easily within a few days. I couldn't buy from that website because I live in Canada. I don't remember the cost, but it was more than $5 lol. Up here, they were something like $25 a piece (CAD). But I figured it was good insurance for the boat just like fuses. I'd recommend you try and replace one at a time because it's unlikely that both failed and get a couple of spare ones that you can keep in the boat.

I just went to my local BRP dealer and they were able to order them in easily within a few days. I couldn't buy from that website because I live in Canada. I don't remember the cost, but it was more than $5 lol. Up here, they were something like $25 a piece (CAD). But I figured it was good insurance for the boat just like fuses. I'd recommend you try and replace one at a time because it's unlikely that both failed and get a couple of spare ones that you can keep in the boat.

[USERGROUP=9]@HELP[/USERGROUP] @Luc Lafreniere @ScarabMike HUGE shoutout to all of you guys! I went to Pensacola Motorsports and they had a few of the relays in stock. Plugged it in and boom the boat started right up! I discovered to say that the head unit and amp fuses also blew. You guys are the best!

Sounds like the battery got hooked up backwards or leads arched.

Back