• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 212X Drain Plugs

pshannon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
We took our 2015 212X on its maiden voyage over the weekend. We filled the ballasts for the first time. While the ballasts were full, I noticed a lot of water coming out of the bilge pump port. We also had a little water in the ski locker (not from wet gear). I need to understand the drain plug configurations to ensure I am using them properly. Can someone please give me the breakdown of the drain plug locations, and which ones need to be plugged while underway? I am coming into jet boating from decades of using an aluminum fishing boat with a single drain plug. Thanks.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
A lot of possibilities here. I have the same boat. It seems everyone has different opinions on which ones should be left open and when they should be.
Obviously the drain plug between and below the the jets is seated properly and tight. The others are just to manage water from different areas different ways.
The main areas you are taking on water are around the lid/hatch that covers the clean outs, the scupper valve (very common) and the the seal between the top half and bottoms half of the hull under the rub rail (seems to be the least common) and the seal around the anchor locker drain at the bow.

Can you describe how you were using the boat and give us a description of how much water was coming out?

pshannon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
A lot of possibilities here. I have the same boat. It seems everyone has different opinions on which ones should be left open and when they should be.
Obviously the drain plug between and below the the jets is seated properly and tight. The others are just to manage water from different areas different ways.
The main areas you are taking on water are around the lid/hatch that covers the clean outs, the scupper valve (very common) and the the seal between the top half and bottoms half of the hull under the rub rail (seems to be the least common) and the seal around the anchor locker drain at the bow.

Can you describe how you were using the boat and give us a description of how much water was coming out?
My GF was trying to pull my clydesdale a$$ out of the lake on a surfboard that was too small. So it was after about 5 failed attempts that I noticed the bilge water spewing a full stream (for about a minute?). Each time she'd bring me the rope I'd see the bilge water spewing. I am certain that water was coming up over the swim deck due to abrupt stopping. I have coached her on the gradual stop to avoid swamping boat.

So far, I know there is a stern plug, which I plugged before launching. I learned there is a plug in the ski locker (do I keep this plugged while underway?). I am guessing there must be a plug for the area by the fuel tank (where do I find this and do I keep this plugged while underway?). Are there more plugs?

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Each year I tell myself I’m going to seal that hatch better and then forget. Maybe this winter…
I leave them all open because I have a habit of soaking the bow riders by intentionally getting a good splash when I turn around to pick up downed riders. Leaving them open allows whatever water that gets into the ski locker to flow back to the bilge and get pumped out. Since I don’t have a high water alarm (maybe this winter?) I also see it as providing me extra time to notice the bilge pump is running to long by giving more area for water to build up before it gets to the engines’ intakes.
There are I think 4 total. One stern, two at the front of the bilge compartment and one in the ski locker.

pshannon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thank you for pointing out the locations, and for your insight!

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just my two cents worth here as I had a wayward leak into my bilge and was very surprised when I hit the bilge pump switch expecting nothing and out came about 5 gallons of water. It was a really simple fix and I tested it to be sure. The OEM Yamaha drain plugs (at the stern) have to cinched up tight, not just finger tight but twisted tight like you would a bottle cap. Most times we get it right but every once in a while because of having to bend down/crawl underneath we dont fully tighten them and they leak little by little and at the end of the day you have gallons in there.

pshannon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Just my two cents worth here as I had a wayward leak into my bilge and was very surprised when I hit the bilge pump switch expecting nothing and out came about 5 gallons of water. It was a really simple fix and I tested it to be sure. The OEM Yamaha drain plugs (at the stern) have to cinched up tight, not just finger tight but twisted tight like you would a bottle cap. Most times we get it right but every once in a while because of having to bend down/crawl underneath we dont fully tighten them and they leak little by little and at the end of the day you have gallons in there.
Thank you!