• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2015 242 limited s o ecean worthiness?!

Dézelman

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello all ! I'm currently looking into purchasing a 242! I love everything about the boat, but I have never owned a jet boat before and would like to know about some of your experiences with these boats out on big water! I currently own a 95 Searay 200 bowrider. I get a little beat up out there with her if the seas are any higher than 2 feet! I'm especially interested on the 2015 242 owner experiences out there because this is the boat I want to buy!! Thanks in advance!!!

@Dézelman ,

I don't own the 242..but just bought a 2015 AR192..and over TWENTY of us are crossing the OCEAN to Bimini this weekend. I'd say they are O.k. for most conditions.
Would I circumnavigate in one..no :)

@Dézelman, I have a 2010 242LS, which has a slightly different hull design than the newer boats and I find these boats or at least previous models aren't the best boats for certain ocean conditions. Sure they can go in the ocean, but depending on the conditions, you will definitely get beat up a bit as you would with any boat. The good thing is, you will stay dry with these boats due to the hull design. I know every year a group of jet boaters makes the trek over to Bimini (which I would really like to make one year as well) and I haven't heard of anyone complaining how bad these boats handle the ocean during their trip. Personally, I prefer rivers as opposed to choppy ocean boating, but a trip like that I would definitely do.

Here is a pic of my former SX230 on Lake Michigan on a rough day. She did fine.
lakemichigan_zps1b5e9ed2.jpg

The new 242 is 4' longer and 650 pounds heavier than your SeaRay so it should handle rough water better. I prefer not to go out into more than 2' waves in our SX230 but have made it through 4' chop. Adding trim tabs made a big improvement in rough water handling. We will likely find out how much during this years Bimini crossing on Monday. The forecast is for close to 3'.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Yamaha 240 weighs a bit less than a typical I/O 24 ft boat, so it will probably ride a bit rougher than other 24 ft boats; but that being said, 24 ft in the ocean is definitely going to ride better than 20 ft. And the Yamaha has a very high freeboard as well. The 2015 boats will probably track a bit better in waves than prior models due to changes (improvements?) in hull design. Earlier model Yamahas tend to shift as you go over waves due to no real stabilization from the propulsion, unlike I/O or Inboard boats. The 2015 model changed to hull design to have a bit more of a keel. Maybe someone will chime in that has experienced the differences?

One thing to bear in mind is that the Yamaha 240 weighs a bit less than a typical I/O 24 ft boat, so it will probably ride a bit rougher than other 24 ft boats; but that being said, 24 ft in the ocean is definitely going to ride better than 20 ft. And the Yamaha has a very high freeboard as well. The 2015 boats will probably track a bit better in waves than prior models due to changes (improvements?) in hull design. Earlier model Yamahas tend to shift as you go over waves due to no real stabilization from the propulsion, unlike I/O or Inboard boats. The 2015 model changed to hull design to have a bit more of a keel. Maybe someone will chime in that has experienced the differences?
You are correct in stating that the new 240/242 series boats handle and track better than their predecessors. There is definitely much less wondering when in rougher waters and when crossing another boat's wake.

This is my first jetboat. Its a 2015 242 limited s. Ive used it about 15 hours in the gulf. the wife doesnt like the ocean ride at all but the kids love the bouncing. I wish it had some type of trim. I am sure that would help a lot but it does not.
It does track well with the keel and added XL fins but it can bounce like crazy over waves 2/3ft. You hear bang bang all the time and ive lost many of my screws throughout the boat from it.

I've been out 10 miles out of Ponce in 3+ footers (per the forecast). Not necessarily fun but not dangerous. I'm still figuring out the best way to handle a following sea in this boat. I'd like to surf in coming back in the inlet, but teetering on being semi on plane and plowing keeps my throttle hand busy. As soon as it drops off plane I need to get it back on to not take a wave over the back.

Back