• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 AR 240 - We have a PROBLEM

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First time out this season, getting "check engine" alarm for both port and starboard and neither will go above 2,100 RPM. Plugs are in, both pissers have good water flow. Visual inspection yields nothing. No leaks, oil or smoke. Maybe they are running a little rough at idle but maybe not. It was no trouble getting them started.
Started her up several times over the winter and ran her for a few minutes, never detected anything wrong. Did NOT winterize, I know, I know... she stays on a lift at the marina.

ANY IDEAS?? Thanks in advance, this is an awesome community.

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Batteries fully charged or always on a tender? Connections proper and tight to batteries? Oil level okay? Air filter look okay? Last time you changed the spark plugs? Didn’t suck up anything?

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some limp modes are over temp related issue it does not mater if it’s real or not ……a lot of time it’s just a bad sensor. The above post on battery are also high on the list. Its usually electronic if on both engines at same time.

jthackman

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
only check engine alarm/limp mode i've had was from battery voltage..

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Batteries pretty new and always on a trickle charger. Connections good. Filters are mid-dirty but took them out to test, no change. Spark plugs three summers ago.

If something got into the air intake past the filters how would that be remedied?

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the bad battery angle. Replaced one last summer, probably should have replaced both.
I WILL START BY REPLACING THE OLDER BATTERY AND REPORT BACK TOMORROW.

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’d change your spark plugs if it’s been 3 years, just my opinion though, hope the new battery fixes the issue!

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I second the spark plug replacement idea. How many hours do you run the boat per season?

Bad gas maybe??

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
UPDATE: I turned the parallel battery switch on after reading your comments and the engines have full power now. So it's a voltage issue, almost certainly. Still getting the "check engine" message. I will change the battery AND spark plugs tomorrow.

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Saturday AM UPDATE: on a hunch (again) I connected my on-board charger directly to the "bad," older (start) battery's posts and left it overnight. This morning she starts right up without the weak sound she had yesterday and both "check engine" warnings are gone. It is now clear that my trickle charging has only been keeping one battery... the one whose posts to which it has been connected... charged. So...

1) Do I even need a new starter battery? This one sounds and feels strong. I guess I could remove and have it tested... and
2) How do I get both batteries on the one charger? Will toggling the parallel switch "on" while charging do the trick? Do I need a different charger with discreet leads and charging?

As usual, the least surprising fact to be confirmed from all of this is that this forum is incredible. It took less than 5 minutes after posting my issue for a member to correctly diagnose the problem and get me on track to solving it.

Thanks to everyone who either replied to or read this!

jthackman

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length