• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2015 SX190 Code 15 (52-1018) will not start

MD SX190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just purchased this boat which only had 22 hours on it. Been out twice with everything running like a new boat. I went through the process of flushing out the engine with starting the engine, then connecting the hose to let it run for almost 5 minutes, turning off the hose and then the engine. Now I am getting ready to take it out again, so I just wanted to start it up before taking it out to the water and the alarm comes on with a Check Engine notification. After cycling through the system I found the code of15 (52 1018). The boat turns over and will not start. I read through other post. I checked for water in the oil-nothing, pulled the spark plugs-not covered in gas or water. Shifter is in neutral, shut off cable is connected right and the rear clean out hatch is shut. Code refers to a Thermal Sensor, but the engine has not been running for a couple of weeks.

How do I get my boat running again? Any ideas

If you are considering testing/replacing the Sensors here is my experience on my 2017 SX 190 (CA Model). There is (1) ThemoSwitch, (2) ThermoSensors and (2) O2 Sensors. They are relatively easy to remove with a lot patience and a socket cut for embedded wire just like the socket used for removing/installing O2 Sensors. Take your time, bring a lot of light, a mirror, something to span the engine bay rather than leaning all over it and again patience. You will be working blind and by feel to get that bottom thermosensor removed. Once removed you can test them in the kitchen with the stove, a pan of water, a thermometer, a volt meter and the Operators Manual which you can pay for at Yamahas website. You can get a two week subscription to the site for a few bucks and there is no Right Click to get the file. Just screen print your needs.

Good Luck.

Types of Sensors.jpg

Electrical 2 -Riva Site Edited.jpg

Great post by @HawaiiBreeze

Here is a link to a post with some screen grabs I shared from my service manual (2016 VX Cruiser HO), which has the same 1.8L, the specs for the sensors should be the same, and you can test as suggested. I believe code 15 is generally linked to the Thermosensor, so I would start there. Before removing it, you should be able to verify the voltage reading from the ECU as well as the resistance of the sensor to let you know if its even working.

Fantastic, I will give it a go this weekend. I truly appreciate the incredible detail.

@HawiiaBreeze - Hawiia Jet Boat! I watch your videos. There awesome. Great tip, I put down a board and it made it a whole lot easier to get to the thermo sensor out with taking my time.

@VitaminSea - I used your service manual pages to test the sensor. It didn't get the correct reading on my multimeter until I put in boiling water. Then it read correctly with normal water as well as boiling. I was hoping that somehow that reset it, so I installed back in the boat and it still just turns over with not starting. The code is still 15(52-1018). So I ordered a replacement from Partzilla.

Would this thermosensor keep the boat from starting?

Attachments

• IMG-2070.jpg
    IMG-2070.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-2073.jpg
    IMG-2073.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 4
Sorry, I don’t have more to share here. Glad the manual was able to assist in determining something was off with the sensors. I am not certain if it would stop the engine from starting, unless it was registering some extreme value that translates to a no-start condition.

I’m thinking you might need to check in with a local shop/PWC repair that has the YDS or similiar software to read what fault codes are present. The software should call out any sensors/conditions that are irregular.

Hopefully it’s just a bum sensor, and you’ll have the replacement in short order!

Going off topic here but your screen name is MD SX190...Maryland or Dr.?

Me too. Where do you take your boat?

I just purchased it a couple of months ago. I have taken it out on the Chesapeake Bay launching at Sandy Point Park and the Potomac River in DC which is great for site seeing from the water. I plan on going out to Deep Creek for a couple long weekend this summer.

Also, while waiting for the thermo sensor to come in, I went over the boat again and noticed that the reverse bucket on the jet engine is stuck in the reverse position. Shifting was very hard the last time I took it out. I took the shifter out and went through the two cables. Throttle cable worked perfectly, but the reverse cable at the shifter is not moving normal very hard. I went ahead and ordered a new cable. Would this keep the engine from starting and through this code?

This is where hooking up the engine/ecu to YDS or similar software will show any values that our out of tolerance, such as if the throttle is not registering its in Neutral, or if the kill switch, or the switch on the clean out port is registering open and not allowing the motor to turn over.

Is there a local repair shop that you can swing by and find out what their diagnostic fee is?

I have no experience with the Candoo Pro, but it list it works on all Yamaha Waverunners 2003-2022. If you can confirm it will work on your 1.8L, it might be another useful tool, however at $450, its probably more than what the diagnostic fee would be at a local shop.

Latest update, my shifter was really tight. So I pulled the boat forward in the garage to see how it was working with the reverse bucket. When putting the shifter into forward the bucket was going nowhere. So, I had a Reverse Shifter Cable sent in overnight, installed it and it fired right up. Turned it off and started it again, then the code went away. Weird that a temperature sensor code was coming up with the boat basically stuck in Reverse. Anyway it works now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Congrats on solving the dilemma. Why the reverse bucket would trigger anything other than preventing a Start is another mystery.

Now its time to get back on the water! Boat On!

Back