• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Yamaha AR192 smoking under full power

BGaspar624

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone. I am hoping someone can help out with a potential issue im having. I recently purchased a 2015 Yamaha AR192 and the boat is smoking when under full power and planing. Smoke seems to go away once I plane out and reach 25+ mph but that could also be because of the fact that I am moving fast and can't see the smoke. Currently has 92 hours, power feels great, and i can reach a top speed of 48mph rather quickly. Rpms hit 7800 at full power. Oil level is fine and there is no oil on my filter which I checked after buying the boat. No oil or fluid leaks in engine bay either. Should i be concerned about the smoke or is this normal? I attached two pictures of the smoke while under power and also have a video I can share. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if it is steam from a cooling water flow issue?

Does it smell?

BGaspar624

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It doesn't smell. Water is also flowing through the two water pilots/pissers pretty well. Here is a video I just uploaded to YouTube as well since it wouldn't allow me to upload on this site.

Thanks for the response:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This could be steam from the exhaust. I think that my boat does this too.
There's 3 temperature sensors that would alarm you if you had bad water flow. There's 2 in the engine block and 1 in your exhaust system. Assuming that those systems are functioning properly, then you can check your spark plugs for potential head gasket issue. Pull the spark plugs and see if any are unusually clean. A leaking head gasket allows water into the combustion chamber and steam cleans the spark plug's electrode. But I don't think that you have an issue. Just something easy for you to check if you want some peace of mind.

Edit: also, a high oil level could be an issue too. But you'd probably notice the exhaust smells and the smoke has a bluish tint

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looks like water vapor to me because the cloud looks like it evaporates after a second. Oil smoke would hang in the air for and like @I_sreared_r said the cloud would have a bluish tint.
Is your oil level changing?

BGaspar624

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will keep an eye on the oil level but I just checked it when I went out this weekend and it was between the low and high mark. Oil was clean as well. Spark plugs will be the next thing I check so thanks for the tip. There are no alarms going off and the boat feels great otherwise. I wanted to reach out to see if anyone else has experienced the same with their boat as I couldn't find any previous threads on this. I appreciate all the feedback.

Summerweatherlover

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I’ve noticed this as well on my 2015 AR192. It has done it since I bought the boat in 2021. At first it was concerning but as mentioned above I think it’s just steam/exhaust.

I notice it most when we’re surfing. Extra ballast, high RPM, and a relatively slower speed are the conditions I found it to be most noticeable (always on the starboard side). Boat performance is fine, no running issues or alarms so I take that to mean everything is good.

BGaspar624

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed. Same here with the steam coming from the starboard side. I've put about 20 hours on the boat this year and it's been running great. Enjoy your AR192 and thanks for the comment.