• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 AR240 System Voltage

K.C.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey a question for you electrical system experts. Took the boat out for the second time this year (welcome to the Pacific Northwest), cruised for maybe 4-5 hours on Puget Sound at various speeds/RPMs. First trip two weeks ago was basically the same. My question is this: At the end of the cruise today, the system voltage shown on the Connext Screen shows 11.5V. When I started today I'm pretty sure it read 11.8 or 11.9. Trip before I think it was over 12.0V (I think but I didn't really start paying attention closely until today when it was noticeably lower). I know the battery should be recharging when the motors are running and I would expect the voltage to stabilize around 12.0V since the house battery is a 12V deep draw marine battery. But like I said it drops slightly each time I take it out and I'm afraid I'm gonna show up at the launch soon with a dead battery. Anyone out there with a newer Yamaha with the Connext Screen tell me what you see normally on your system volts? I recently re-installed the batteries after the winter as well as upgrading the sound system and am curious if maybe I gooned something up.

Thanks everyone any input would be appreciated.

KC

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Use a volt meter and check your battery voltage. If they aren't over 12, get a charger on them.

Also search on here for Connext voltage fix and do that...

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome @K.C.

Confirm that you have the little black wire from the dvsr connected to the batteries as it is common for the dealer to miss this in prep and the house battery won't charge without it. Also confirm you have a battery cable connecting the negatives of both batteries. If you have not added amps for a sound system your stators should be keeping up and less than 12v with enigines on is a dead give away for what I recommend above.

Yes also search out the connext voltage fix and do that but I don't think that is your primary issue. A shore charger is a very good idea to keep your batteries charged and in tip top condition. Also a must if you add amps.

Lastly check out the FAQ section. You will find lots of useful stuff there.

K.C.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @K.C.

Confirm that you have the little black wire from the dvsr connected to the batteries as it is common for the dealer to miss this in prep and the house battery won't charge without it. Also confirm you have a battery cable connecting the negatives of both batteries. If you have not added amps for a sound system your stators should be keeping up and less than 12v with enigines on is a dead give away for what I recommend above.

Yes also search out the connext voltage fix and do that but I don't think that is your primary issue. A shore charger is a very good idea to keep your batteries charged and in tip top condition. Also a must if you add amps.

Lastly check out the FAQ section. You will find lots of useful stuff there.
I put a voltmeter on the house battery, reads 11.8V so it does not appear to be receiving a charge. I have a shore charger that I can put on it to bring it back up. In the meantime, looking at the DVSR I see no little black cable coming off of it, unless I am missing something.
(See attached photo). I've done a search and can't find a photo of one wired up correctly, so not really sure how to proceed.

Attachments

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
From the photo you posted the tiny ground wire for the dvsr is most certainly missing. It is either pinned behind the DVSR or someone clipped it off. The DVSR needs both power amd ground to sense the voltage and act as a relay. It gets +12vdc from the wires amd bus bars being the switch/dvsr pack but it needs ground in the form of a small ground wire terminated in a ring terminal attached to the ground of one of the batteries.

I recommend taking off the switch pack to see if there is a black wire stuffed back there

K.C.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took the DVSR panel off and sure enough the ground wire was coiled up behind it. I have the battery on the charger now will hook up the ground wire when I reinstall. Does it matter which negative terminal it hooks up to? Thanks for your help Mainah it's much appreciated!

KC

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Shouldnt matter

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@K.C. The negative terminals of the batteries should already be connected by a battery cable. The negatives of the batteries are the common ground in our boats so it does not matter which one.

I could not help but notice the Kicker wire from your photo. Based on that I have to assume you have some amps and if so I recommend installing an on board shore charger like a noco or minn kota dual bank 20 amp. If you find that your batteries are not keeping up throughout the day because of your amps you may want to consider upgrading to twin group 31 agms (my preference) or golf cart batteries which there has been debate about the pros and cons of both on here.

As mentioned before you probably want to check out this thread as well https://jetboaters.net/threads/fix-for-connext-battery-voltage-issue-confirmed.11381/

We love helping out fellow boaters and always hope we hook a few regulars for this site to keep things fresh.

Ted AR240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My situation is a little bit different, I wonder if anyone else is having this issue. My voltage reads over 14, normally around 14.3 on both batteries when the motors are on. We have a 2016 AR240. When both engines are off, and we fire up the Connext system, both voltage readings are just over 12, normally around 12.3. Then when we start the motors, the readings start to climb very quickly and end up around 14.3. Anyone else having this issue? Thanks.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My situation is a little bit different, I wonder if anyone else is having this issue. My voltage reads over 14, normally around 14.3 on both batteries when the motors are on. We have a 2016 AR240. When both engines are off, and we fire up the Connext system, both voltage readings are just over 12, normally around 12.3. Then when we start the motors, the readings start to climb very quickly and end up around 14.3. Anyone else having this issue? Thanks.
Mine does the same thing 12.3 or so if engine off even if I just took the battery tender off. If running 14.something

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Going to 14 volts isn't an issue. It just means they are charging.

K.C.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed. After I connected the wire from the DVSR to the battery, I'm showing 14.3 with the motors running and around 12.3 with the motor off. The larger voltage you see with the engines running is the additional voltage going to the system to recharge the batteries. I think so anyway, I'm not an electrician and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but it makes sense.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is your stator/Charging system working. When the engine is running the stator is generating power to the electrical system. When the engine is off you're running on battery power, hence the lower voltage. You're fine.

Ted AR240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to hear this is working properly. Thanks everyone for the quick responses.