• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Scarab 165 Ghost BRP Rotax Spark Plug Change

Ekun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hey there,

New to this forum, however, I had a recent issue with my Scarab that a buddy of mine solved, so thought I would post it here in case someone else had the same issue. Also, I have not seen any instructions for how to change your spark plugs in this forum, so thought I would post that as well. If there are instructions somewhere in a thread that I couldn't find, I apologize in advance.

In any case, my 2016 Scarab was running a bit rough recently. Then it just died. Would turn over once but wouldn't catch. Some background info, have gone from 30 hours to 50 hours so far this season, oil change at the end of last season. Premium gas with no ethanol in the tank, confirmed full (no gas tank sensor issue). Battery charged. Was talking to my buddy who owns a different boat (Sea Doo) but it has the same BRP 4-Tec engine in it. He said it was probably the spark plugs. He replaces his every year, and keeps a spare set in the boat as he has had several issues with them ruining a nice day out on the boat. I attempted to do the spark plug change myself, and got as far as getting the engine cover off and the electrical connections disconnected, but I was stumped by the seals that cover the plugs. My buddy came over and showed me how to do it. Turns out you have to pull on the seal part fairly hard. I didn't want to break anything... Step-by-step instructions below (apologies, should have videotaped it). In any case, worked like a charm, had it out on the water later that day and no issues. Now, if I could just figure out why it chews through so much coolant, I would be completely happy with it...

BRP Rotax 4-Tec Spark Plug change instructions. Tools needed - 5/8" socket, 6" socket extender, needle nose pliers. Also a rag or gloves if your spark plug seals/covers have grease on them.

Scarab 165 Ghost Spark Plug Change Instructions:
Take the oil dipstick out.
Open the engine cover (it just pops off, no screws)
Disconnect the electrical plugs to the 3 spark plugs. You push down on the tab on them and pull to disconnect.
There are 3 seals with a plastic piece on the top that the electrical connections connect to. Pull up on them fairly hard to pop these 3 seals and the plastic spark plug holder part below them up and put them to the side. Mine had a lot of grease on them, so you may need to use a rag or gloves for this part.
Use a 5/8” socket wrench with a 6” extender to loosen the spark plugs. Just loosen slightly with the wrench, and then use the extender and socket to loosen by hand. You’ll feel a click when each spark plug comes out fully.
Use needle nose pliers to pull the old spark plugs out.
My Scarab 165 Ghost uses 3 x NGK DCPR8E spark plugs. 4 for $20 at Canadian Tire.
Pull the caps off the tips of the new spark plugs with the needle nose pliers. The caps are not needed.
Use the socket and extension to put the new spark plugs in. My buddy usually turns them slightly counterclockwise to ensure they’re seated properly, then tightens them clockwise by hand. Once snug, then do 2-3 quarter turns using the socket wrench but not too tight.
Then pop the seals/plug covers back on.
Reconnect the electrical leads.
Put the engine cover back on.
Put the dipstick back in.
Done.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
FYI, the base model "Ghost" comes with the 150HP engine. For that engine only, there is zero benefit in getting premium gas. The other engines with higher HP can run all types of gas BUT benefit with better performance if you use premium.

Here's the official BRP instructions for the plug change.

1659382650741.png

1659382243748.png

Attachments