• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Toyota Highlander V6 with 2018 SX190

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At the brake shop to have the rotors turned, had all new brakes put on before we got our boat but after towing, rotors were warped and had burn in. Guess I need to slow down with towing the boat. Didnt think I was going fast etc.

You're adding over 3500 lbs and without surge brakes on your trailer it's just more wear and tear on your tow vehicle. More weight = more force required to stop. More force = greater heat cycles on your rotors.

You can try some cryo treated rotors for better resistance to warping or use your tranny gearing to help slow you down more. I had a Highlander V6 once and I would pull my ATV's and dirt bikes using a utility trailer. Even then I could tell I was pulling something.

:eek:This reminds me to check my brakes on the Prius as we tow the jetski all the time with it

Yeah I ordered the 2019 Sx190 because it now has brakes and my grand Cherokee recommends brakes over 1000lbs and requires over 2000lbs. Not sure the highlander brakes can handle that much weight on heir own

I tow an 18 SX195 with a highlander hybrid and it’d been good so far up and down the Pennsylvania hills.

Rotors and pads are cheap. Surge brakes are simple, but require adding a new coupler to the trailer. Thinking outloud... you have at least 3 options (Assuming there is a brake flange on your trailer axle....)

1.Leave as is...Learn how to replace rotors yourself of pay to have them done... you may need more frequent service, but all within the specs of the Highlander.
2. Surge breaks - No changes to the Highlander, and a few hundred spent on the trailer. your investment lives on with the trailer
3. Electric brakes. easier to install, may be able to do yourself on the trailer. Brake controller is needed on the highlander. I'm not a perfect detail kind of guy, so I would leave the brake controller to an installer.
Your investment is tied to the highlander too, so if you swap it for something else, you need to install the brake controller again in the new car.

There is Electric over Hydraulic, but it's more expensive, so I would not consider it for your situation.

Best of luck! Keep enjoying the boat. Rotors and pads are not a bad DIY job, and good rotors are not terribly expensive. I just replaced ours on the 07 Pilot with Bosch rotors, and its brakes are back to silky smooth.

Last edited:
The electric brakes are a good idea but note that if you boat in salt water you might need electric over hydrolic

Back