• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Yamaha 242 Limited S - Shower draining for Winter

GoodCubanito

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any option to drain the water out of the shower tank as part of winterizing the boat?

I just run it dry, then pump in a half gallon of antifreeze, and run that til it sprays pink. In the spring, I add a bit of water and spray til clear, repeat once or twice, and then fill it up. This way it makes sure that there's no water left in the hose, pump, nozzle, etc.

I just run it dry, then pump in a half gallon of antifreeze, and run that til it sprays pink. In the spring, I add a bit of water and spray til clear, repeat once or twice, and then fill it up. This way it makes sure that there's no water left in the hose, pump, nozzle, etc.
Sean, probably a stupid question but: how do you pump the antifreeze on it?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Don't have to worry much about freezing here. I run the pump to there is about a gallon left then add a few ounces of bleach to keep anything from growing in the tank for a few months.

Don't have to worry much about freezing here. I run the pump to there is about a gallon left then add a few ounces of bleach to keep anything from growing in the tank for a few months.
Would anyone have an idea on why the shower cuts off after 1 second? I want to drain mine as well, we really never use it, but the pump shuts off as soon as I start it. I then go back to the dash, turn it off, then back on, same thing.

Any ideas would be appreciated , thanks. Tank is currently half full.

Try locking the shower head open (press the little black switch up) and then turn it on. Mine does that too sometimes, and that fixes it.

I have a hose to air line fitting and pressurize the tank to blow out all the water. I unscrew the spray head and wait till the hose runs only air. I also have a sprayer on the system mounted by the anchor locker so that clears the long hose of all water. In the spring I only need to fill it and I add a small amount of bleach so it doesn’t get funky in season - I’m on a well so no chlorine in the water to start. Top offs at the marina are chlorinated so the top offs are fine unless the water sits too long.
The start and stops some are experiencing are due to the pump pressure switch. There is likely some air in your system confusing the pump. In season run some water through the system while on hose pressure - I find this often clears it.

I have a hose to air line fitting and pressurize the tank to blow out all the water. I unscrew the spray head and wait till the hose runs only air. I also have a sprayer on the system mounted by the anchor locker so that clears the long hose of all water. In the spring I only need to fill it and I add a small amount of bleach so it doesn’t get funky in season - I’m on a well so no chlorine in the water to start. Top offs at the marina are chlorinated so the top offs are fine unless the water sits too long.
The start and stops some are experiencing are due to the pump pressure switch. There is likely some air in your system confusing the pump. In season run some water through the system while on hose pressure - I find this often clears it.
Good suggestion. Which direction should I send the hose water to clear the air, from the shower head side?

Thanks for the tip on the bleach. Makes sense.

I attach at the fill point with a hose thread to air quick connect adapter, and charge to 30 psi. Overpressure is released through the small overflow on the side of the boat. I just hang the shower hose over the side, just under the cleat to hold it in place as it it vents out.

I also have a sprayer on the system mounted by the anchor locker so that clears the long hose of all water.

This sounds like a brilliant idea. More details please, even though it seems self explanatory. Muddy anchors are the bane of my boating existence.

I will assume the Pinkish liquid in the shower tank is antifreeze?
If I don't use the shower is it even recommended to drain it out?
Does the pink liquid ( aka Antifreze, ) expire?

Please advice, thanks

I will assume the Pinkish liquid in the shower tank is antifreeze?
If I don't use the shower is it even recommended to drain it out?
Does the pink liquid ( aka Antifreze, ) expire?

Please advice, thanks
It will be fine to leave it in there for whatever duration you see fit. It's better than water, that's for sure.

BTW, used to be around here, folks asking winterization questions in July got banned. (smile)

@olayemi73 Stagnant water can go pink from bacteria. I would be hesitant to assume that the "Pink" water is antifreeze unless you know for sure. It is pretty easy to flush the system by hooking up a hose and filling the tank. I usually twist off the hand sprayer and let it flush through, then hook up compressed air and blow it all out. I generally add some bleach and let it sit a few hours before blowing out the tank though. There is a check valve at the fill port, so adding bleach or antifreeze is not as simple as dribbling it in. I use a small utility pump and a bucket of whatever I am adding to simplify that. Then if you don't plan on using it, adding some antifreeze and running it through the pump would make the pump safe, though I have just blown out the water and skipped the antifreeze through several Midwest winters without any problems.

Back