• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 242X Radio Remote Removal/Installation

Roger Vrooman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
First Post!!!

Big shoutout to my wife Tass, as this could not have been accomplished without her... First, was told that you can pop off the chrome bezel and there are a couple of screws you take out and quickly change out the units... This was further from the truth on our boat... As you can see, the original unit was well worn by the weather... The unit is attached on the back side with a plate with two studs that go into the rear of the unit and then have nylon lock bolts (7mm in case anyone is wondering) with a lock washer... I first removed the rear speaker and I can reach the first stud but couldn't squeeze my forearm any deeper to reach the second stud... Then I did a lot of searches on here, but could not find the info I was looking for... Did see that the cup holder had only 3 screws and sealed with caulk... So off came the cup holder... Don't know why I thought that would do the trick for me, but forearms didn't go very far in through the cup holder...

At wits end and thinking it was not going to happen, I thought, why don't I try to see if Tass can reach them... While not mechanically inclined, Tass has great eye/hand coordination... What if I could talk her through this?!?!? First, made sure she could reach both studs fairly easily, which she could through the cup holder... Next, handed her a deep well 7mm, and she was able to unscrew both lock nuts by hand w/o a ratchet... What a trooper!!! Out comes the old unit and you can see the bracket that is on the back side of the remote unit and what the studs look like...

I knew that was the easy part, and re-installing the new unit, bracket, washers and lock nuts would be a little more difficult... It really wasn't that bad for Tass to do other than numbnuts (me) handed her a 6mm socket to tighten the lock nuts... We couldn't figure out why she couldn't tighten the nuts enough to compress the rubber flange gasket... I looked over at my tool tray and saw the 7mm sitting over there... We swapped out to the 7mm, and Shazam, the unit fit nice and snug... Went to install the cup holder with sealant, and couldn't find the drain hose... Tass had knocked it off when she was working on the radio remote... So I go get Tass for a 3rd time to come out and see if she could feel the pipe that the drain hose plugs into... She did, and was able to put her arm in the speaker cutout to ensure the cup holder fit nicely into the drain hose...

Added picture of the new unit installed which came with a new cover... Very fortunate that Tass was able to do this... Guess there are some skinny dudes that work on these boats at the dealership as this can't be done by a normal-sized dude ;-) In all, probably took us an hour to get the old one out, install new one, and get the cup holder and speaker re-installed... Consider this a win, but we'll find out tomorrow when we take her out and try the remote...

Rogman

IMG_5145.jpegIMG_0193.jpegIMG_0872.jpegIMG_4957.jpegIMG_8329.jpegIMG_9103.jpeg

Big_O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the pics!!