• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 212X Rumbling Behind Starboard Engine

BOARF16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The last two outings I noticed a rumbling that I can feel through the floor mostly when the engine is idling. After further investigation, the sound appears to be coming from behind the starboard engine. The engine is smooth and you can’t feel the rumble from the engine itself, but you can feel it on the back engine wall (maybe something exhaust related?)

Rumble Video

Has anyone ever experienced this issue?

Thanks!

Really hard to tell from the video. Doesn’t seem that bad though but that could be the sound being picked up. I haven’t had anything like that on mine (as best as I can tell).

Have you been running at low speeds a lot? Maybe just give it a good high speed run. If still has the rumble, maybe change the plugs and/or add some fuel injector cleaner.

I will try to get a better video when I can do a more in depth search for the issue. We have been doing mostly surfing or cruising around at 22-28 mph. The spark plugs and oil was changed about 3 hours ago on the engines and I only run 93 non-ethanol.

I will keep you updated. Thanks Dave!

Here is an update to the post above:
After last summer, the shop who did the spark plugs and oil never actually looked at the sound/vibrations. So when I cranked up the boat prior to putting it in, the starboard engine sounded like metal was chattering, but no deep rumbles like when in the water. The port engine not so much. I filmed the attached videos from under the boat by the impellers because someone said it could be the pump bearings. I packed up the boat and dropped it off to a show to check out. When we took the boat for a test drive, same issue occurred when going to idle. The starboard engine occasionally has deep rumbles and vibrations when pulling the throttle to idle. It will continue to do this.
So what do we know so far:
- When accelerating on each engine separately, they both appear to put out the same amount of power and both cruise around the same RPM.
- When watching the drive through the clean out ports, I do not see any oscillations.
- You can't hear any rumbles or vibrations when above idle.
- The shop pulled both pumps to check the bearings, impeller, and wear rings...they claim they are all good with no signs of the impeller hitting inside.
- The shop swapped the pumps to see if the condition would move to the port engine and IT DID NOT....still on the starboard engine.
---------------
Since we aren't sure what the issue is, has anyone had anything similar or what are you thoughts on this:
I think there is something potentially wrong with the exhaust. Is there a possibility that when the engine is pulled to idle, the exhaust pressure is not enough (or maybe a valve isn't closing) allowing water to rush into the exhaust causing back pressure and the rumbles. Then once pressure builds up, the water is pushed out until it happens again..

Any thoughts?
Port Engine Under Out of the Water
Starboard Engine Under Out of the Water

was it left in the water? I can hear the starboard impeller hitting the wear ring. Both of mine needed to be replaced last year 2017 model. Pull the pumps yourself . Have you sucked up any debri or ropes ?

Yes the boat was left in the water. Both pumps were pulled, swapped and there was no wear marks on the wear rings.
I need to upload another video when it’s at idle in the water so you can hear the deeper rumble. Randomly at idle something sounds like it bogs down and vibrates the boat. The port motor doesn’t do it, only the starboard. And only at idle.

Is there grease in the intermediate bearing pull the zerk out or the feed tube it's reachable on the back of the engine compartment feed some weed Wacker line probe it like a dip stick could be a bad bearing rusty grease would be a tell tale sign . You tried the shop the were useless grab some wrenches . I can clearly hear the impeller rubbing on the wear ring. Are you in salt water ? The previous owner of my boat mored it in salt water for a few weeks the first two years of ownership. I expected the impeller housing would fail and they did. My last boat they were still good fifteen years later

I will check that..
According to the previous owner who bought it new, it was always on a lift at freshwater lake in Georgia.
I am assuming the shop who only works on PWCs/jet boats would know if there was wear on the rings, but I will confirm.

if the impeller is rubbing on the wear ring, but puke that also cause the deep rumble when idling in the water?

The rumble could be the intermediate bearing . If they swapped pumps and checked both pumps the bearing could be the issue. When the pump are removed they could spin fine and be in Tolerance but now you insert it through the intermediate bearing and it's not supporting the center of the shaft allowing it to slap around in the wear ring. All the boats come with no lube in the cavity besides what's packed in the bearing but they are designed to hold more . Most owners and shops over fill and blow out the seals this allows water in then they fail.

I couldn't view any of the videos for some reason. Are you able to embed them in your post? Unless I'm the only one. Anyway, I've heard of some having issues with their pumps swelling, causing the impellers to scrape the inside of the pump.

They did swap the pumps and the issue stayed on the same side (Starboard side).
So when you pull the pump, the intermediate bearing stays in the boat or does that come out with the pump?

So when you pull the pump, the intermediate bearing stays in the boat or does that come out with the pump?
The intermediate bearing stays in the boat on the same side it was on with pump replacement. They would have to unbolt both engines and move the intermediate bearing to the other side, which I highly doubt they would do.

Hard to tell from the video what the issue might be.

Last edited:

When they pull the pump the cone bearing is part of the pump assembly below its contained in this part and has a front and rear bearing

Sunday, June 05, 2022.jpg

This part is the intermediate bearing that could have a hose or Zerk to add grease . The problem with the hose is the old grease would harden and not allow new grease in You would have to pull the hose pump out the old grease reattach then pump in new grease and keep you hand on the hose as soon as you felt it firm up by the slightest amount stop pumping. If you have the zerk that creates a bigger problem the grease gun has enough force to blow out the seals and there is no way to know when its full. The solution is to pull the zerk and insert a syringe with a slurry of thinned grease and fill up the cavity.

Sunday, June 05, 2022 (2).jpg

Recheck your oil and pull the spark plugs to see what they look like. If a cylinder has an issue it will cause a rumble in the exhaust that’s not normal. I’ve got an older boat but just went through a similar situation and it ended up being the ECM holding an injector open causing a light rumble & overfilled gassy smelling oil.

Back