• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 AR210 STBD Engine- No power to Start

Out2c2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey all, I’m new to the JetBoat world. Just replaced my 180SSE Chaparral w a brand new 2018 AR210 (leftover). I’ve had it in the water for two weeks and have 8hrs on both the engines so far.

When I went to start the engines yesterday only the port engine started. I actually pulled away from the dock not even noticing bc I didn’t look at the tach’s yet. Once away from the dock I noticed the STBD engine was not running. I pulled back to the dock to check things. I put the throttles in neutral and tired again. When I put the STBD key to the 12oclock hour, I noticed that the Connext screen didn’t power up. I’ve checked the battery terminals, battery switch, ignition switch connectors, fuses on the STBD engine and can’t seem to find any good reason why this would occur. Disappointed, I walked away from the Boat last night but returned to it this morning.

I boarded the boat at 0600 to begin another round of troubleshooting. Except now the switch works fine and power up the Connext screen and engine like it’s designed to.

10hrs later, I’m back to where I was last night. Nothing when I go to start the STBD engine.

The boat is under Warrenty until 2025 but all the local Yamaha dealers are 3+ weeks from being able to look at it. I called a bunch today.

I need help from the group. What steps would you take to try to solve this? My boat is at the dock and July 4th week vacation is upon me. I’m less than impressed and trying hard not to over-react but I paid over $40K and the boat is useless in its current condition at the dock.

I bought A new boat so I wouldn’t have to deal with these issues. Guess I was wrong.

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you

Check to see that your rear hatch that gives you access to the clean out ports is securely shut. If not, it can allow the safety switches to remain up.

I’ve checked the rear hatch switches as well. When the rear hatch is lifted it prevents the engines from being started but the switches do not interrupt power to the Connext screen.

I’ve tested w both PORT and STBD engines. I can have the hatch open and the port ignition key will energize the Connext screen but if I try to power the Connext screen w only the STBD engine, absolutely nothing happens.

The Port Side works perfectly ever time. Never any interruptions or issues.

Yes, throttles in Nuetral. Port side starts as designed.

Since it's intermittent, I suspect it's got to be a electrical connection or relay. Maybe the safety lanyard?
Do you have a service manual? My FSH 210 shows a main relay in the fuse box. Maybe swapping those would move the problem from one engine to the other. There's also a ETV relay that could be switched. Sorry, I don't know what ETV stands for.

The safety lanyard is common to both engines and since the Port side works with no issues, I assume the safety lanyard is operating as designed.

I don’t have a service manual. Only the VERY basic operating manual.

I checked the fuses in the STBD engine. I can’t tell if a relay is perhaps bad.

What troubles me is that the Connext screen does not receive power when the STBD key is in the 12 o’clock position. This seems fundamental a key piece of info.

The issue is certainly intermittent....which makes its even harder to troubleshoot. However, it’s currently not working so it’s in a state that troubleshooting should be able to find the problem.

I just visited the boat again. I put the STBD key to the 12oclock position and the Connext screen turned on. But when I went to start the engine, absolutely nothing happened.

I took the Key out of the STBD engine ignition switch and put it in the Port side and the the port engine fired right up.

Very frustrating!

I once had an issue when I could turn the key but nothing happened. Turns out the mechanism was loose behind the console so everything was turning with the key instead of just the innards of the key insert. (Sorry, this is in layman’s terms) You would never know it though because everything looks good from the front side.

I can see and put my hands on the backside of the ignition switch. The area is very accessible on the 2018 AD210. The switch is turning as designed. Not sure it’s working.....

I considered swapping the Port & STBD ignition switches but they are not quick disconnects, rather chrimp connections
so I’m trying to restrain from doing that unless it’s my last ditch option.

Again....new boat. Not thrilled about turning wrenches on it!!

Really appreciate the replies so far. Thank you

I can see and put my hands on the backside of the ignition switch. The area is very accessible on the 2018 AD210. The switch is turning as designed. Not sure it’s working.....

I considered swapping the Port & STBD ignition switches but they are not quick disconnects, rather chrimp connections
so I’m trying to restrain from doing that unless it’s my last ditch option.

Again....new boat. Not thrilled about turning wrenches on it!!

Really appreciate the replies so far. Thank you
I think your idea of swapping ignition switches is a good one. I can understand why you don't want to go there. May be worth it though just to rule it out.

Agree on swapping ignition switches...good idea....fairly easy and could very well be the problem.

Yes, swap the ignition switches, as that sounds most likely. On the up side, if that is it, my dealer was very willing to have me bring back bad parts for new parts during warranty. He didn't have to check in/out the boat and I didn't lose use of the boat. Win/win!

As to the lanyard safety switch, that is NOT a single switch. That is a compound switch (one on top of the other). There are two switches on top of each other that are then mechanically attached to that lanyard thingy. So if the ignition switches don't move the problem over to port, then I would pull the throttles to get below to swap the 2 switches attached to the lanyard to see if that moves the problem over to port.

Well, I just visited the boat again. The safety lanyard does not interrupt power to the Connext screen. When the safety switch is removed, the engines still turn over but no power for ignition.

I noticed an additionally odd thing this morning. The STBD ignition key, when turned to the 12 o’clock hour powered up the Connext screen. The depth gage was reading 85 feet although I’m sitting in about 3-4’ of water. When I tried to start the engine, nothing happened.

I switched key to the Port side and everything worked perfect. The port side has never exhibited ANY signs of issues. The port side started right up and interesting enough the depth gage indicated the few feet of water in lieu of an erroneous 85 feet.

I can’t seem to understand why the Connext screen would display different values depending which ignition key powered the unit first.

I’m leaning towards the ignition switch but this new data makes me think perhaps it’s a Connext screen issue.

Also to note is that when the ignition keys are turned to the 12 o’clock hour, a slight humming noise occurs for a second. When the STBD key doesn’t power the Connext screen, the noise does not occur.

Not sure if this additional data helps, but again, greatly appreciate your ideas. Trying like hell to NOT pull the boat and have it sit in the shop the next few weeks.

Thanks again!

No judgement intended of implied...

It had been suggested to swap ignition switch from one side to the other, and that had not yet happened right? I understand why you would be hesitant.

Maybe you can test the switch in place. There are some diagrams on the shop manual showing how it works. With battery off you could do continuity test with a multimeter and compare your switches. You could also try to wire the switch temporary to ON to troubleshoot. Connect the cables directly into ON just to troubleshoot and see if the behavior is different.

I know these suggestions are a little bit out there, but hope it helps.

Wondering if there was ever a solution to this problem? I have the exact same thing happening to my 2018 ar210.

Back