• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Yamaha 242x tower pins plastic insert stretched

jakew7881

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have 2018 242x and one side of the tower rattles whenever we hit a wave. We checked everything and everything on the tower is tight. The part that is making it rattle is the plastic insert that the tower pin goes into. It appears that the plastic has been stretched and the pin no longer fits tight which causes it to shake. Anyone know if this plastic can be replaced? I can’t find it on any of the Yamaha tower parts diagrams. Picture attached for reference.IMG_8995.jpeg

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's the same tower and latch I have on my 2020 - try this:
Did you or anyone replace those and eliminate the rattle ?

Rodder77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I replaced one in a 2016 242x..hated that rattle..then the pin wouldn't go back in. Put the old white sleeve back in and wrapped a simple piece of foam over the internal base part, poked a hole in it (so the pin would go through it), put the tower back up over it and put the old pin back in. problem solved!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Mine doesn't rattle - btw after reviewing your photo again I may have given you incorrect information. Your 242X tower looks much larger (and has a shock) than my 212S tower...

I suggest a fix like Rodder77 stated - you might be able to modify a pool noodle to eliminate the rattle.

Rodder77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine doesn't rattle - btw after reviewing your photo again I may have given you incorrect information. Your 242X tower looks much larger (and has a shock) than my 212S tower...

I suggest a fix like Rodder77 stated - you might be able to modify a pool noodle to eliminate the rattle.
Pool noodle is way to thick, you wont be able to close the tower back down over it, I used a simple piece of foam wrapping that furniture or electronics comes wrapped in to protect it in the box during delivery, probably from something I ordered from amazon and was left over packaging. see picture - the piece i used was just longer to wrap over the base and poked a hole in both sides. Been on there a couple seasons now.

Attachments

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Great info cant wait to try this out it freaks out passengers with the rattle sound it makes. The First boat I looked at and water tested had that tower and the rattling sound made me think something was wrong

So this is the concept? Can't wait to try it out

1718813067622.png

Rodder77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Great info cant wait to try this out it freaks out passengers with the rattle sound it makes. The First boat I looked at and water tested had that tower and the rattling sound made me think something was wrong

So this is the concept? Can't wait to try it out

View attachment 221987
Exactlty! just wrap the foam over the metal base, covering the hole on both sides and poke a hole in it for the pin to pass thru as normal. Also as good practice as others have mentioned is to check and tighten the #8 nuts in the diagram....a task easier said than done. You must climb (or have someone smaller climb) into the hatch under the starboard seat and use a long (2ft) extension on the socket and tighten the nuts, the port side with the batteries try a mirror and flashlight as the farthest one back you really need to tighten in the blind. The nuts tend to looses over time. Once you have the foam in and the tower back up just hit the base of the tower with your hand where it was rattling inside and it should be gone.