• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242 LE Boat Lift Cradle

seabrooktx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After hanging my 2011 242LS in a slip for a couple of years at a Marina, I really didn't like the angles or distance between the straps. The slip is designed for a larger boat, so the spacing between beams forward to aft is 14ft. To make it work with the normal lift straps, we had to tie a rope between the two straps to bring it in and secure it, so it didn't so look susceptible to slipping off the front. When we bought the 2019 242LE, we decided it would be best to build and install a cradle. Because of the uniqueness of the slip spacing (width and length), everything had to be customized.

Below are some photos and a short BOM, all sourced from various suppliers. After doing the beam bending calculations and looking at the load rating of all the materials, the setup appears to have a ~12k lb WLL rating with a 2 - 3X safety factor. Definitely overkill. Since it is in Saltwater, everything is either 6160-T6 Aluminum or Stainless.

- 8" Wideflange Aluminum I-Beam - Custom cut to 10' 6"
- 10" HD Extruded Bunks - 16'
- 6' Stainless Slings with 90Deg thimbled eyes
- (4) 7" 4x5 Blocks of Aluminum
- (4) Extruded 8" Beam Lifting Bales
- (4) 4' Pully's
- (4) Guide Posts for 8" I Beam
- Misc Stainless Hardware and Bolting

Since the distance between the bunks is so wide to accommodate the boat sitting just outboard of the intakes, below is how the spacing was set:
- Distance between Bunk Centers - 45" - This is perfect spacing to keep the bunks just outboard of the Intakes and just outside of the forward chime
- Had to use the 10" Bunks + Raise them 4" with blocks. This gave me about 2.5" clearance at the bow from the beam and approx 4" at the stern.

The only issue with this setup is that it loads the center of the bunks (longitudinally) due to the hull shape. The back of the boat is lifted off about an 1/8" for about 3ft. Might make an adjustment to bring the fronts in a little closer to still miss the chime, but push the front up more and load more evenly. There is no buckling or sagging from the bottom of the bunks, so really no structural concerns as it is.

Did the install myself with the help of a friend and my 10yr old son. Pretty happy with the results so far, hope the setup holds up to the saltwater and I did all my load calculations correctly!? 🧐

IMG_5461.jpg
Material Staging in the Backyard

IMG_5527.jpg
Post Assembly

IMG_5628.jpg
Boat Installed

IMG_5629.jpg