• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR195 Service Manual

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hello, before buying the Yamaha service manual is that something that will help me in working on this boat? Looks like from now on I’ll be doing my own work and the manual that came with the boat is very limited. My next project is adjusting the throttle cable at the engine. Still can’t figure out what is causing the boat to not exceed 21 mph at 53K rpm. No skip, sounded great, best gas mileage ever, just will not go any faster. I noticed that there is about a 2 inch gap from full speed to full throttle, meaning no difference in rpm for about 2 inches until complete stop on helm control. I’ll be posting a video later to explain. I noticed throttle cable on engine is like brakes on my bike where you adjust to get the tension out, I’m thinking it’s familiar on the boat? I want to try that before taking apart the helm control, that looks more complicated, which leads to me my first question, will the service manual help me in doing projects like that? I’m the one person who actually reads manuals! Thanks in advanced!

An update...

For those who have not been following my epic journey...

We purchased the boat used about a year ago, we had a slight skip from day one, tired different additives, took to a dealer (Goldsboro, not where we purchased.) Another story...
They changed plugs, oil said they went through the boat, believed them then, but not now.

One morning battery was dead, replace it and like magic, skip was gone! We went to Southport one weekend and hit a storm that was not forecasted, I have no idea if this has anything to do with the speed issues, we hit a wave so hard and big it cracked our windshield support water came over the bow, we both got soaked. Before that incident we were flying over 40 mph! After that I slowed down because we were both wet and cold. On the way back from that trip, we could never get over 20 mph!

I have changed plugs, oil, myself, and still not over 20. I did find that the Goldsboro folks put in the wrong plugs, that is why now I do not believe them and will not be taking it back. If a dealership can’t even put in the right plugs, they are useless! I have a supercharged engine which requires a different plug than the non supercharged, you would think they would know that? Anyway, new plugs, correctly gapped, oil is not overfilled.

I was able to get the boat on land up to 8K rmp. So we know the engine is good. One person just told me that the new 2022 have had a issue with the foam around the engine hood is coming loose blocking the intake causing loss of rmp’s. I have not checked that yet, but that is my next thing.

Also my wife and I adjusted the throttle cable next to the engine, not at the helm. It was really off, it was about 3-4 inches of her moving throttle before it moved the cable! Now is is perfectly synced when you start to move the throttle, it moves at the engine. Also with her being there, I checked the bucket and it is working the way it should as well.

Weather permitting we will take her back out and see if this helps and I will do an update.

One other thing someone told me to check are all battery connections. I have also checked the fuses, which by the way I have a hack for getting that cover off I’ll share later!

Again many thanks to the amazing folks here that are willing to share their thoughts and knowledge. Boat is running amazing, so if we can’t fix this, I’m not spending anymore money on this issue. We are just going to enjoy the boat, going fast is not our thing, however if we do sell her, this will need to be fixed or disclosed to the future owner, but right now we are Loving Our Life!

Last edited:

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello, before buying the Yamaha service manual is that something that will help me in working on this boat? Looks like from now on I’ll be doing my own work and the manual that came with the boat is very limited. My next project is adjusting the throttle cable at the engine. Still can’t figure out what is causing the boat to not exceed 21 mph at 53K rpm. No skip, sounded great, best gas mileage ever, just will not go any faster. I noticed that there is about a 2 inch gap from full speed to full throttle, meaning no difference in rpm for about 2 inches until complete stop on helm control. I’ll be posting a video later to explain. I noticed throttle cable on engine is like brakes on my bike where you adjust to get the tension out, I’m thinking it’s familiar on the boat? I want to try that before taking apart the helm control, that looks more complicated, which leads to me my first question, will the service manual help me in doing projects like that? I’m the one person who actually reads manuals! Thanks in advanced!
Are you saying your engine won’t exceed 5300rpm, or are you saying that the boat won’t exceed 21mph at max rpm? (should be close to 7600-7800rpm)

Service manual would be helpful. I don’t have one, but the dealer has been kind enough to let me look at theirs when needed.

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Are you saying your engine won’t exceed 5300rpm, or are you saying that the boat won’t exceed 21mph at max rpm? (should be close to 7600-7800rpm)

Service manual would be helpful. I don’t have one, but the dealer has been kind enough to let me look at theirs when needed.
See video to understand what I’m talking about.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There's some decent info out there on the throttle cable and adjusting the tension in the controls. I've had to do that with mine and also had the dealer adjust when it was in for service.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just watched the video. Might also try checking the impeller...just a thought, but maybe something is stuck causing the slower speed/rpm. I'd think there would be some vibrations, but maybe not.

Also, might be helpful to turn the comments on your video.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check for the basics like your throttle is actually getting full engagement at the APS in the engine compartment. When was the last time plugs were changed and correct gap? These engines don’t like anything but near perfect spark plugs. Inspect your air box and air filter to ensure it’s not full of oil from overfilling. Check the piping from supercharger to intercooler to intake manifold for tight clamps and no leaks.

You’d probably get more help if @Administrative could move your thread to a more appropriate section like General chat.

Last edited:

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Check on everything but air box and piping. Had someone else say check foam from sound deadening for engine can block intake. Thanks for the help

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
21mph for 5300rpm is about right, but you should get 7600 rpm.

Spark Plugs and throttle cable (APS) would be the first thing to look into.
Was it running good before? Is it used and new to you?

Last edited:

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Sounds like the throttle to me. If it were a plug or coil your fuel consumption would suck like you were running full throttle as it would be dumping gas at the same rate just not burning it. I would imagine you’d have a slight vibration as well. Since the speed is about right for the RPM achieved, I’d say throttle.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
One morning battery was dead
The battery shouldn't just go dead unless you left the switch on or something connect to the battery. Get yourself a good marine smart charger and no more issues.
I was able to get the boat on land up to 8K rmp.
Never rev an engine without a load on it - easy way to float a valve. Test marine engines in water, car engines on the road or test track.
had a issue with the foam around the engine hood is coming loose blocking the intake
That seems somewhat common - not enough adhesive to hold the foam in place and it blocks air flow.

Another is the clamps holding the air intake on the supercharger and/or intercooler. If they come loose or off pressure will be lost and you'll loose lots of power.
Also my wife and I adjusted the throttle cable next to the engine, not at the helm. It was really off, it was about 3-4 inches of her moving throttle before it moved the cable!
Not sure if you messed that up or not by your description.

Jets are different from outboards or I/O's due to lack of a dog gear and lower unit. On a regular boat, as soon as you move the throttle forward, it engages the gear and then starts to rev up from idle. On jets the throttle should move from neutral to the forward detent which does NOT move the APS throttle sensor or rev the engine, it merely raises the bucket slightly to get slow forward idle. You need to move to the forward position which is 2-3 inches before the bucket is raised completely for full forward idle and engine does not move the APS throttle sensor above idle. Then move it forward from there and the engine starts to rev with the bucket wide open in forward. This is normal for jets and it's explained in your owner's manual.

If the engine is revving up immediately, the bucket is not up and you're revving for nothing as the thrust is not being put out the back. So now your throttle will go forward but the APS is not revving the engine properly. That would explain the slow speed.

This video will show you how to properly adjust your APS throttle sensor: